Intel Launches Core i5-1155G7 + Core i7-1195G7 Tiger Lake Processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Launches Core i5-1155G7 + Core i7-1195G7 Tiger Lake Processors

Phoronix: Intel Launches Core i5-1155G7 + Core i7-1195G7 Tiger Lake Processors

Intel is kicking off Computex Taipei 2021 week by announcing new 11th Gen Intel Core processors as well as Intel 5G Solution 5000 as their first 5G product intended for next-gen PCs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

all-core turbo of 4.6GHz
    I was momentarily impressed, until I remembered these are just quad-core and have a 28 W TDP (edit: the all-core turbo will use up to 50 W).

Still, I hope they offer these in a NUC or NUC Pro. I'm interested in checking out the video transcoding capabilities of these 80 & 96 EU iGPUs.
    Last edited by coder; 31 May 2021, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      I was momentarily impressed, until I remembered these are just quad-core and have a 28 W TDP.

Still, I hope they offer these in a NUC or NUC Pro. I'm interested in checking out the video transcoding capabilities of these 80 & 96 EU iGPUs.
      Video transcoding won't scale based on the number of EUs. It's pretty much fixed.

​​​​​

Comment

I sure hope they'll have nice open source drivers for these 5G chips. Although, given it's form third party manufacturers, probably not. It'll probably end up being like PowerVR.........

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
          Video transcoding won't scale based on the number of EUs. It's pretty much fixed.​​​​​
          But they know it's a use case, so I'm expecting it to be improved over their Gen9 iGPUs.

Comment

Intel sure loves that 5Ghz number. Keep hitting that drum relentlessly. Too bad most reviewers out there don't investigate sustained clock frequencies and help keep Intel's image in those difficult times.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              Too bad most reviewers out there don't investigate sustained clock frequencies and help keep Intel's image in those difficult times.
              It's a boost frequency, which is time-limited. There's no secret about that.

Now, where things get a bit shady is that laptop vendors can tune the boost parameters, based on the power and thermal characteristics of their system. So, you won't necessarily get the same performance as Intel claims, and it can vary from one model to the next.

What's also shady is that some gaming boards allow the CPUs to boost indefinitely, which skews benchmarks, especially if the test system has better cooling than the typical user (as is often the case).

Comment

The Intel 5G Solution 5000
                Sounds like it was from The Jetsons or Futurama.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                  I sure hope they'll have nice open source drivers for these 5G chips. Although, given it's form third party manufacturers, probably not. It'll probably end up being like PowerVR.........
                  They got MediaTek involved, one of the worst offenders when it comes to open source or timely updates.

Comment

How much TDP is acceptable in a portable computing device like a notebook or convertible?
                    Intel: Yes!

Comment

Working...
                    X