Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Tiger Lake Performance On Ubuntu 21.04 Benchmarks

Phoronix: Intel Tiger Lake Performance On Ubuntu 21.04 Benchmarks

With recently showing desktops and servers enjoying better performance on Ubuntu 21.04 through high end hardware like Xeon Ice Lake, you might be wondering what this means for mobile Linux performance... Here are some quick weekend benchmarks of the Dell XPS laptop with Core i7 1165G7 "Tiger Lake" on Ubuntu 20.10 versus 21.04...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I actually had to send my Dell XPS 13 back for performance reasons. I would get lag moving my cursor around or even just typing in gedit. It was really disappointing. It didn’t matter if I put it in performance mode or plugged it into an outlet. The weird thing is my five year old broadwell laptop doesn’t lag like this. So I got a new battery and I’m still using it.

I’ll probably go with a Ryzen system next.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      there are some other comile time

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
        I actually had to send my Dell XPS 13 back for performance reasons. I would get lag moving my cursor around or even just typing in gedit. It was really disappointing. It didn’t matter if I put it in performance mode or plugged it into an outlet. The weird thing is my five year old broadwell laptop doesn’t lag like this. So I got a new battery and I’m still using it.

I have an 1135G7 (HP) and it's been working flawlessly. Not that there's anything wrong with Ryzen but it's more likely a Dell or configuration problem. Dell has really been slipping in quality lately.

Comment

I actually had to send my Dell XPS 13 back for performance reasons. I would get lag moving my cursor around or even just typing in gedit. It was really disappointing. It didn’t matter if I put it in performance mode or plugged it into an outlet.
          This very much sounds like a PSR issue to me, where the screen would periodically freeze for a very short time, perceived as a lag, however has nothing to do with performance. This is a known issue, see here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Del..._Hangs_on_i915

There is an easy workaround, just boot with
          Code:
          i915.enable_psr=0

Comment

change the termal paste

Comment

Hi cynical , I understand where you are coming from. I am having the same issue. At least the cursor freeze. By any chance, have you created a Dell ticket? I am thinking of getting attraction and get it sorted for good. Other than that: great hardware (for me).
              Cheers

Comment

spyrou008 , cynical Please have a look at comment #5, I am sure that will solve your problem. You might have missed that comment, since it was waiting for approval for hours.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag
                  I have an 1135G7 (HP) and it's been working flawlessly. Not that there's anything wrong with Ryzen but it's more likely a Dell or configuration problem. Dell has really been slipping in quality lately.
                  Could be, my older Broadwell system is an HP 2-in-1 so I can say with certainty that they’re doing something right when it comes to hardware. After the new battery my system works better than ever. I actually don’t even feel like upgrading at the moment. I’ll wait until something interesting like Alder Lake is out, or someone besides Apple makes a good ARM laptop, or maybe AMD does a hybrid core architecture.

It was a shame though because one awesome thing about the Dell is that I did a BIOS update directly from Gnome Software. How cool is that? I wanted to support them since they support Linux but I was very dissatisfied with the lag.

Originally posted by Esokrates
                  This very much sounds like a PSR issue to me, where the screen would periodically freeze for a very short time, perceived as a lag, however has nothing to do with performance. This is a known issue, see here
                  It’s definitely possible. Though I notice those users talked a lot about freezing or hanging, and I never experienced that. It was more like an input lag that would occur reliably every few seconds, and affected window drags as well as typing.

I wish I could test it but I already shipped the unit back for a refund. I figured it had something to do with a slow ramp up in cpu frequency under Linux or something like that, that’s how constant it was. It could definitely have been a display issue. Thoroughput, like installing software, was indeed fast.

I was disenchanted with it because I bought it thinking it would be a great experience under Linux. If it is this parameter issue, why didn’t they catch it before selling the laptop? It was so apparent to me when using it…

Edit: Just read the bug Esokrates filed. He describes the problem and it sounds exactly like what I had. This is so ridiculous though! Do companies care nothing at all for their products now? How do you actively sell something with an obvious flaw like that? It makes the laptop feel like it’s running on a Intel-branded potato.

Originally posted by spyrou008
                  Hi cynical , I understand where you are coming from. I am having the same issue. At least the cursor freeze. By any chance, have you created a Dell ticket? I am thinking of getting attraction and get it sorted for good. Other than that: great hardware (for me).

Cheers
                  No I didn’t. I was really upset because it’s the first time I’ve ever bought computer hardware and found it to perform worse than what I already had. (and for a premium!) I agree with you that the machine was a beautiful piece of work otherwise, but I was not willing to debug the thing beyond a few tests when they advertised it would run Ubuntu out of the box.

Do you get lag in gedit if you try continuously typing in it? Or lag when dragging a window around? I tested it under the default install, under Ubuntu 21.04 on a fresh install, and even under Wayland without success.
                  Last edited by cynical; 25 May 2021, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X