Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical To Not Enable UXA, Too Problematic

Phoronix: Canonical To Not Enable UXA, Too Problematic

In August of last year Intel had introduced the UMA Acceleration Architecture (commonly referred to as UXA). UXA is based upon the very common EXA acceleration API but it handles the pixmap management using GEM objects...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I, for one, am glad they're making a quality control decision if the UXA isn't up to snuff.

Comment

Wise decision.

Comment

What about Nvidia..

Hi! About nvidia and ati drivers. Will they be using UXA someday?

Comment

No, NVIDIA and ATI drivers don't need to use UXA, they can get all the benefits that UXA offers using only the EXA API, simply by replacing the "dumb" memory allocation system in the backend with GEM.

Comment

Funny, I geat all kinds of graphical corruptions with UXA disabled in Jaunty. First, I thought that it's related to Qt 4.5, but as soon as I changed my xorg.conf to use UXA, all corruptions went away and I got a major performace boost for free.

Comment

good descision

I guess this is also a message to the intel guys that shipping alpha/beta quality software as stable is not in the interest of the distributors and causing a _lot_ of pain for end-users.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                I guess this is also a message to the intel guys that shipping alpha/beta quality software as stable is not in the interest of the distributors and causing a _lot_ of pain for end-users.
                I haven't been paying attention to what claims Intel has made, but part of an open source development process is that alpha/beta software is developed out in the open and for use at your own risk. There's really no code too poor to release, as long it's communicated that something is "highly experimental" and not ready for use. Problems only happen when developers call one thing and the code is something completely different *cough*KDE4*cough*.

Comment

Originally posted by piquadrat View Post
                  Funny, I geat all kinds of graphical corruptions with UXA disabled in Jaunty. First, I thought that it's related to Qt 4.5, but as soon as I changed my xorg.conf to use UXA, all corruptions went away and I got a major performace boost for free.
                  Interesting; which intel GMA is that? For me (855) it hung and gave some corruptions. I also had some with 2.6.1, but those are gone since .3

Comment

Originally posted by piquadrat View Post
                    Does

Option "EXAOptimizeMigration" "off"

help with EXA?

Comment

Working...
                    X