Intel Working On TTM Integration For Discrete vRAM Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by microcode View Post

It really doesn't work like that with software; nor in business. If that were some ironclad law of economics, nobody would be self-insured, and no insurance company would be without reinsurance; but lo and behold, U-Haul self-insures their vehicles because over multiple vehicle lifecycles they can retain certificates of self-insurance, which end up less expensive than third-party auto insurance because they register their vehicles in a low-cost jurisdiction (Arizona). Here in Wyoming, a $200,000 USD cash deposit, surety bond, or security can entitle you to self-insure 25 vehicles, then $100 per vehicle in excess of 25. If your business can take on debt, sell equity, or simply has the cash on hand to resolve civil disputes arising from auto accidents, then it makes sense to take on the risk directly.

There are many, many cases where shared infrastructure is more of a risk than an asset; you can't apply some blanket judgement to the entire idea.
    No I can't, my entire point with foregone improvements is that there is no way to know what could have been had Intel gone with TTM+gallium from the get-go.

As for your self-insurance example: it only works if you're big enough. Intel could write its own memory manager, r300g alone would never had that capacity alone.
    The point of insurance is to distribute risks. Either you're big enough to distribute within yourself (have 25+ cars and $200K), or you go outside.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
      They are moving completely to TTM or just their dGPU part will be using TTM meanwhile the iGPU will still using GEM?
      I don't think it's an either-or thing... IIRC most of the drivers using ttm are actually using TTM BO's wrapped in GEM objects, combining TTM features with GEM's interface... so Intel IGP's used GEM with its internal memory manager while dGPUs are using GEM running over TTM.

I haven't looked at the Intel patches in any great detail but at first glance it seems that they are doing something similar (adding a TTM back end for GEM objects).
      Last edited by bridgman; 19 May 2021, 06:13 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Working...
      X