X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by Vlad42 View Post

Well, according to Anandtech who dug into the test configuration Intel used, it looks like Intel may have given itself a significant TDP advantage in their internal benchmarks.

"Intel’s benchmarks against AMD are a bit trickier, given it is hard to compare laptop-vs-laptop given that different designs will have different optimization points. However in an iso-comparison with an RTX 3080 (giving AMD the benefit of the doubt on TDP and a bigger chassis for cooling), and with all settings and cooling features and fans set to maximum, Intel is claiming 20% better average gaming performance with a Core i9-11980HK (65W?) against a Ryzen 9 5900HX (45W?), or iso-performance comparing a Core i5-11400H (45 W?) and a Ryzen 9 5900HS (35 W?). There are a lot of question marks there because Intel’s appendix of test setups mentions only ‘maximum performance setting’ for each system, and that in-itself is variable based on the OEM."
    To be honest it's not a big deal since Intel basically compares the fastest mobile CPUs from both companies and when your GPU alone eats around 120W, "mobileness" gets thrown out of the window anyways. It's not fair of course but it is what it is.

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Interesting to see so many on topic posts. Normally, topics like these derail because of Intel vs AMD flame wars.
    Volta is sleeping. It's temporary.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Interesting to see so many on topic posts. Normally, topics like these derail because of Intel vs AMD flame wars.

Leave a comment:

• Vlad42
    replied
    Originally posted by brunosalezze View Post
    "Intel's top-end Core i9 11980HK model is reported by the company to outperform AMD's Ryzen 9 5900HX by 11% to 26% in various (Windows) games."

With the IGPU? Sure, DG? No... TGL is too far behind amd in power efficiency numbers, in single core workloads, the mobile 5000 amd chps hits 4.5Ghz at a peak of 15w, while a TGL requeres 30w 4.8Ghz, and they score mostl the same. There is a huge efficiency gap between these process nodes, and amd is still on 7nm, with avaiable 6 and 5. 6nm is a drop in upgrade path.
    Well, according to Anandtech who dug into the test configuration Intel used, it looks like Intel may have given itself a significant TDP advantage in their internal benchmarks.

"Intel’s benchmarks against AMD are a bit trickier, given it is hard to compare laptop-vs-laptop given that different designs will have different optimization points. However in an iso-comparison with an RTX 3080 (giving AMD the benefit of the doubt on TDP and a bigger chassis for cooling), and with all settings and cooling features and fans set to maximum, Intel is claiming 20% better average gaming performance with a Core i9-11980HK (65W?) against a Ryzen 9 5900HX (45W?), or iso-performance comparing a Core i5-11400H (45 W?) and a Ryzen 9 5900HS (35 W?). There are a lot of question marks there because Intel’s appendix of test setups mentions only ‘maximum performance setting’ for each system, and that in-itself is variable based on the OEM."

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Doing some quick math here, intel advertised TDP of 45w, plus their insane turbo boost, equals approximately 135w of actual TDP under load. So basically these parts will be running at 90C or higher, while leaving burn marks on your desk, and causing hearing loss from the tiny fans at a constant 7000 rpm. Yay?
    laughs in FX 9590

I love how we need a spreadsheet for all the turbo boost frequencies

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Doing some quick math here, intel advertised TDP of 45w, plus their insane turbo boost, equals approximately 135w of actual TDP under load. So basically these parts will be running at 90C or higher, while leaving burn marks on your desk, and causing hearing loss from the tiny fans at a constant 7000 rpm. Yay?

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Why has power managerment become a proprietary technology requiring support from an OS is beyond me. Why Intel, why? Not to mention that Intel made it impossible to configure low-level power settings for TGL CPUs under Windows. Under Linux it's even worse as Linux developers disabled access to MSR in the name of "security" and "stability". And TGL results under Linux in the absence of DPTF are abysmal: 40% slower in MT mode than under Windows. And if you start blabbering about AMD Ryzen mobile CPUs - they have pretty much the same issue under Linux as under Windows they perform a lot better, sometimes substantially better.
    You aren't wrong. I find it very curious that the more we make gains with free software, the more that it seems the cpus are being built to restrict us and work against us.

It's as if the WinTel anti-trust practices of the 1990s and early 2000s never stopped, they just re-spawned in a variety of different forms. Quite the coincidence.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    I don't care about ICL and TGL power consumption too much but what I care about is bloody DPTF which breaks things left and right, including for Windows users. There are literally thousands of threads on the internet from people complaining that due to DPTF their performance is subpar and DPTF is not even available for Linux in any shape or form. Why has power managerment become a proprietary technology requiring support from an OS is beyond me. Why Intel, why? Not to mention that Intel made it impossible to configure low-level power settings for TGL CPUs under Windows. Under Linux it's even worse as Linux developers disabled access to MSR in the name of "security" and "stability". And TGL results under Linux in the absence of DPTF are abysmal: 40% slower in MT mode than under Windows. And if you start blabbering about AMD Ryzen mobile CPUs - they have pretty much the same issue under Linux as under Windows they perform a lot better, sometimes substantially better.

Now I'm awaiting Volta with a new portion of insults against me.

What a weird Intel shill I am, publicly disparaging the company and its practices.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Setif View Post
    It's very exciting to see Intel equipping i5 with 6C/12T.
    AMD and ARM aren't giving them a choice. Between those two companies developers and end users alike are used to 6c+ systems.

I kind of wish AMD would go into OpenPOWER. When Raptors start around two large while still needing a case and ram....they clearly need some healthy competition.

Leave a comment:

• drakonas777
    replied
    20% lead over ZEN3 in gaming is a bit suspicious. Something is going on there, power-related most likely. Either way, looks like a decent CPUs. They should have released them in the desktop too instead that Rocket Lake garbage.

Leave a comment:

• Setif
    replied
    It's very exciting to see Intel equipping i5 with 6C/12T.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X