Intel Launches 11th Gen Core H-Series "Tiger Lake H"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

Don't forget that in windows land, the background processes are a-plenty. Antivirus that will turn on when there's something happening, optimizing windows, memory optimatization, search for updates, chrome-firefox-adobe-and the likes that all have background process, etc.. etc.. Try windows 7 without that kind of BS. It's blazing fast.
    I don't have any of that BS, I just use Windows Defender since it's lightweight and good enough, Chrome isn't allowed to run in the background, and I haven't installed Adobe yet.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      I don't care about ICL and TGL power consumption too much but what I care about is bloody DPTF which breaks things left and right, including for Windows users. There are literally thousands of threads on the internet from people complaining that due to DPTF their performance is subpar and DPTF is not even available for Linux in any shape or form. Why has power managerment become a proprietary technology requiring support from an OS is beyond me. Why Intel, why? Not to mention that Intel made it impossible to configure low-level power settings for TGL CPUs under Windows. Under Linux it's even worse as Linux developers disabled access to MSR in the name of "security" and "stability". And TGL results under Linux in the absence of DPTF are abysmal: 40% slower in MT mode than under Windows. And if you start blabbering about AMD Ryzen mobile CPUs - they have pretty much the same issue under Linux as under Windows they perform a lot better, sometimes substantially better.

Now I'm awaiting Volta with a new portion of insults against me.

What a weird Intel shill I am, publicly disparaging the company and its practices.
      Yeah, I hope it's possible to enable MSR access with a simple kernel config change, as long as I don't have to go make code changes to get back userspace MSR access.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

I don't have any of that BS, I just use Windows Defender since it's lightweight and good enough, Chrome isn't allowed to run in the background, and I haven't installed Adobe yet.
        Yes, the windows defender is quite lightweight. But it often run in the background with other processes. Try to let the task manager open while doing your work, you'll see magic. Luckily you use nvme. If one using hdd with windows 10.. God bless him/her.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

Yes, the windows defender is quite lightweight. But it often run in the background with other processes. Try to let the task manager open while doing your work, you'll see magic. Luckily you use nvme. If one using hdd with windows 10.. God bless him/her.
          Haha, yeah, HDDs are painful. Have spare Arch Linux install on a HDD for rescue purposes, it's ridiculously painful. Need to move that to a USB flash drive.

Comment

I'm a little late, but just want to express my disappointment that the new processors will come with worse integrated graphics (compared to the 96EU Intel Iris Xe). This basically means I'll have to go for a laptop with the proprietary nvidia garbage drivers, or with the older, low-core processors...

Comment

Working...
            X