Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.13 Merges Support For Intel DG1 Graphics Platform Monitoring / Telemetry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.13 Merges Support For Intel DG1 Graphics Platform Monitoring / Telemetry

Phoronix: Linux 5.13 Merges Support For Intel DG1 Graphics Platform Monitoring / Telemetry

Outside of the i915 kernel graphics driver one of the areas Linux 5.13 is seeing more discrete graphics card bring-up work is within their PMT driver for enabling platform monitoring / telemetry support with this inaugural Intel PCIe graphics card...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I saw a report yesterday that the Intel cards won't be shipping till Q1 next year. So they have time. Much better than a company that ships the card and then starts working on the drivers.

Comment

In case you're considering a DG1 for your next gaming rig: the DG1 is a card for GPGPU computing in datacenters. Their customer is AWS, not you.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
        In case you're considering a DG1 for your next gaming rig: the DG1 is a card for GPGPU computing in datacenters. Their customer is AWS, not you.
        Didn't the DG1 ship in some OEM desktops but required a special UEFI so it was "locked"? So it's more a low-end GPU for office machines than a datacenter accelerator?

Comment

Dg1 is a low power card in some prebuilt machines with their own dedicated memory and more than the igpu's normal 10-15 W power budget. It's no data center accelerator, it's more of a consumer acceleraccelerator.
          As far as I understand, the custom UEFI effectively overrides the internal GPU (as they're effectively the same silicon). I don't have have on one to confirm that detail, however.

Comment

Regardless, Telemetry is the way of the "weak minded".

Edit: ASUS was supposed to made the desktop variant, now called Iris Xe for the desktop, available, but I don't think it is yet.
            Last edited by cjcox; 08 May 2021, 11:45 PM.

Comment

My bad, I got confused with Habana Labs' Gaudi accelerators, which are also made by Intel and share a very similar internal name.
              World-class deep learning accelerators and artificial intelligence processors, developed from the ground up for inference software deployment in production environments. Inquire now.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                I saw a report yesterday that the Intel cards won't be shipping till Q1 next year. So they have time. Much better than a company that ships the card and then starts working on the drivers.
                Perhaps some higher-end product, but the DG1 already started shipping to developers, last year, and OEMs in January:

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                  Not sure if this is what you were remembering, but the same underlying GPU is shipping in a datacenter-oriented product!

Comment

Working...
                  X