Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.13 Merges Support For Intel DG1 Graphics Platform Monitoring / Telemetry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.13 Merges Support For Intel DG1 Graphics Platform Monitoring / Telemetry

Phoronix: Linux 5.13 Merges Support For Intel DG1 Graphics Platform Monitoring / Telemetry

Outside of the i915 kernel graphics driver one of the areas Linux 5.13 is seeing more discrete graphics card bring-up work is within their PMT driver for enabling platform monitoring / telemetry support with this inaugural Intel PCIe graphics card...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-PMT-Telemetry

I saw a report yesterday that the Intel cards won't be shipping till Q1 next year. So they have time. Much better than a company that ships the card and then starts working on the drivers.

Comment

In case you're considering a DG1 for your next gaming rig: the DG1 is a card for GPGPU computing in datacenters. Their customer is AWS, not you.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
        In case you're considering a DG1 for your next gaming rig: the DG1 is a card for GPGPU computing in datacenters. Their customer is AWS, not you.
        Didn't the DG1 ship in some OEM desktops but required a special UEFI so it was "locked"? So it's more a low-end GPU for office machines than a datacenter accelerator?

Comment

Dg1 is a low power card in some prebuilt machines with their own dedicated memory and more than the igpu's normal 10-15 W power budget. It's no data center accelerator, it's more of a consumer acceleraccelerator.
          As far as I understand, the custom UEFI effectively overrides the internal GPU (as they're effectively the same silicon). I don't have have on one to confirm that detail, however.

Comment

Regardless, Telemetry is the way of the "weak minded".

Edit: ASUS was supposed to made the desktop variant, now called Iris Xe for the desktop, available, but I don't think it is yet.
            Last edited by cjcox; 08 May 2021, 11:45 PM.

Comment

My bad, I got confused with Habana Labs' Gaudi accelerators, which are also made by Intel and share a very similar internal name.
              https://habana.ai/

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                I saw a report yesterday that the Intel cards won't be shipping till Q1 next year. So they have time. Much better than a company that ships the card and then starts working on the drivers.
                Perhaps some higher-end product, but the DG1 already started shipping to developers, last year, and OEMs in January:

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                  Not sure if this is what you were remembering, but the same underlying GPU is shipping in a datacenter-oriented product!

Comment

Working...
                  X