Intel DG1 Graphics Card Nears Working State On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

It's been like that for decades, AMD hasn't given a crap about proper Linux support. Competition isn't enough, they'll still focus more on the Windows gaming market (where their drivers are still sucky and buggy).

AMDs software division is just shit, quality is bad and it shows.
    I look at AMD Graphics as multiple entities. The ATI Era; 1993-2006. The ATI+AMD Catalyst Era; 2006-2011. The AMDGPU Transition Era; 2011-2021. The Upcoming Era; 2021-2???.

I don't have a lot to say about the ATI Era. I barely remember how my first ATI card performed on Windows 98. I just remember I learned the difference between AGP and PCI when I went to install the first one I bought. I went Nvidia between 2002-2012 if that says anything. The Catalyst Era just sucked so hard....basketballs through a catheter tube hard. They were slow, always behind, nothing ever on time, and the UI just was....it was there. The end of the Catalyst Era waiting on AMDGPU almost made me regret getting an R7 260x. With the Transition Era they've been steadily getting better and better every year. Release times are better -- Linux Day 180 support is now Linux Day 2 support. New features have gone from years out to months out. When they come up with something cool and neat it becomes open source and benefits everyone like CAS; not closed and limited to themselves like NVIDIA does. Motherfucking Mantle to Vulkan, yo. Vulkan definitely deserves some brownie points.

What I'm getting at is, yes, AMD Graphics sucked in the past. They've also realized their mistakes and have been doing a lot of work to rectify everything and all of that work is just starting to come to fruition. They either just hired or are still in the process of hiring Linux devs. We need to give those devs some time to do something, a year or two, because, to me, The Upcoming Era looks to be The AMDGPU Polishing Era -- They did the nitty-gritty during the Transition Era and now we should start to reap the benefits of that with better day 1 hardware support, hopefully UIs, keeping up with the Jones's (Nvidia features), and things like that. In addition to the driver they've also been behind pushing next generation technologies and graphics frameworks in an open source manner. Intel deserves just as much praise in that department. They're a great friend to open source as well, but compared to Intel, AMD is the small guy and they've been doing a lot with a fraction of the resources of their competition.

Luckily they have a contract with Sony which ensures that they have a reason to keep up with open source drivers. Do you think the PS5 and PS4 run AMD's Windows driver or Open Source Kernel driver? Exactly. As long as that's the case we're probably gonna keep on being supported.

Comment

Originally posted by Syfer View Post

I bought an Intel 1165G7 CPU equipped laptop on the premise that the Xe GPU is good enough for basic gaming. I previously had a laptop with a 1050Ti. My gaming needs aren't extreme - I want to play Rocket League. The 1050Ti played it just fine at 60FPS on High settings in 1080p. The Xe can't manage 30 FPS in 1080p on Performance, I had to drop down to 720p for that. That's just too ugly and low to be playable.

A 1050 is a midrange GPU, but it's far more powerful than an integrated GPU, even the supposedly great Xe. Now I'm probably looking for an eGPU enclosure and a low end GPU to put in it, but even a 1050 costs 185 pounds!
      You can pull that off with an AMD R5 4650G APU without a dGPU. Humblebrag -- It's what I have in my system.

Comment

I bought an Intel 1165G7 CPU equipped laptop on the premise that the Xe GPU is good enough for basic gaming. I previously had a laptop with a 1050Ti. My gaming needs aren't extreme - I want to play Rocket League. The 1050Ti played it just fine at 60FPS on High settings in 1080p. The Xe can't manage 30 FPS in 1080p on Performance, I had to drop down to 720p for that. That's just too ugly and low to be playable.

A 1050 is a midrange GPU, but it's far more powerful than an integrated GPU, even the supposedly great Xe. Now I'm probably looking for an eGPU enclosure and a low end GPU to put in it, but even a 1050 costs 185 pounds!
        Well yeah it definitely wasn't going to start competing with a 1050 Ti. Remember it has a much lower number of EUs, it competes with the CPU cores for limited TDP, thermal budget and it shares access to normal RAM bandwidth (which is much slower than dedicated GDDR memory).

Comment

TemplarGR Wafer, mate. Wafer. You sound like a saucy pilot im der Luftwaffer. Mmm, lecker lecker.
          Hi

Comment

I know this is not what you want to hear, but there is something seriously wrong with the Linux port of Rocket League (as Unreal ports generally are), or the Intel driver is seriously holding the iGPU back. On windows, that thing can go over 90 fps at 1080p and med/hi settings. At 4:44 min:

Last edited by M@GOid; 13 April 2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

What about Xe Max though? Do they have support for 2 dGPUs yet?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I know this is not what you want to hear, but there is something seriously wrong with the Linux port of Rocket League (as Unreal ports generally are), or the Intel driver is seriously holding the iGPU back. On windows, that thing can go over 90 fps at 1080p and med/hi settings. At 4:44 min:

https://youtu.be/9224NgWwnH0?t=284
                I've tried on Windows too. It's not much better

Comment

Working...
                X