No announcement yet.

Intel DG1 Graphics Card Nears Working State On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All good, but when can we actually buy an Intel DGPU?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

This is simply not true. There are huge market segments that both Nvidia and AMD are simply refusing to service. Integrated offerings are up to now very underwhelming for anything above office-level of usage,
      Regarding iGPU, you eider have very high expectations for a GPU ("I play current AAA games exclusively"), or haven't used one for a good time. The current offerings can do very well in gaming, if you are playing up to e-sports types of games.

Sure. you can't play CP2077 very well in one, but gaming is much more than AAA.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
        A card that doesn't work with AMD or even old Intel systems is not "competition." Maybe wait for DG2.

Calling "competition" a set 3 companies selling nearly the same shit for the same price (and increasing the barriers to drive out innovation and actual competition) is the funniest part of lolbertarian lore.
        Intel sales people don't agree with you. Also, 3 is better than two, and 2 is better than one.

Comment

FWIW I'm using Intel iGPUs *only* for already 10 years and have no problems with gaming. I'm not a demanding type of course, but I can play ESO on my Kaby Lake with no issues. So yes, I am looking forward for intel success in GPU area as it's my only hope to continue with headache-less work & game experience.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            Intel sales people don't agree with you.
            If you believe what sales people say you shouldn't be anywhere near a computer. It's a low end card for OEMs only and will only work with Intel CPUs.

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            Also, 3 is better than two, and 2 is better than one.
            I see you conflate competition with collusion. But yeah, "vote with you wallet" or something.

Comment

A card that doesn't work with AMD or even old Intel systems is not "competition." Maybe wait for DG2.

Calling "competition" a set 3 companies selling nearly the same shit for the same price (and increasing the barriers to drive out innovation and actual competition) is the funniest part of lolbertarian lore.
              Sadly, it is not "the same shit".

Here is proof:
              - Intel does not have ray-tracing (yet)
              - AMD does since RDNA 2
              - NVIDIA started it all

- Intel has 4:4:4 video encoding since Ice Lake
              - NVIDIA has 4:4:4 video encoding since Maxwell
              - AMD doesn't even care

- Intel has the best quality encoders
              - NVIDIA is in the middle
              - AMD has the worst quality encoders

- Intel selectively cripples/removes very old/seldom used features from its encoder (but does not lower speed)
              - NVIDIA does not remove features from its encoder
              - AMD removes encoder features and cripples the encoders too early (H.264 in particular, which still remains widespread, but they have been lowering the encoding speed since VCE 3.0)

Comment

Funny how raytracing and GPU video encoding weren't important until NVIDIA told you it's important. It's almost like your needs are being shaped and your money siphoned into gimmicks you didn't even care about a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

I would just add in the bit that they will be the only dGPU manufacturer with their own fabs. While 4K60 would be nice, I don't expect them to be competitive at the high end for quite a while. I'd be thrilled with a midrange 1080p card I could actually buy for a reasonable MSRP (e.g. <= $250 USD). Someone needs to offer a reprieve from the mining madness.
                  I'd be happy if they all focused on upsampling and scaling to 4K than trying to push actual 4K....or to and from any resolution, really. More things like DLSS and CAS. Things that'll ideally benefit anything from the crappy iGPUs to I have a lot of money dGPUs. IMHO, somewhere around 1080p/2K the resolution isn't as important as features like higher/variable frame rate or color gamut. 4K is nice, but with my setup it becomes choppy and the lower frame rate is noticeable (especially in action scenes); not to mention that I have to sacrifice quality graphical settings for a lesser experience. 1080p-ish quality pushing double or more frames with higher graphical settings is where it's at.

Since not every game or application has built-in scaling and the scaling standard changes between game -- Is 50 equivalent to 2K or 1080p? -- it'd be nice if that was something handled at the driver options level and not the game options level. Like on a 4K desktop if a game says "I'd like full screen 1080p, please" the driver is smart enough to leave it in 4K and scale it up since 1080p scales directly into 4K.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

This is simply not true. There are huge market segments that both Nvidia and AMD are simply refusing to service. Integrated offerings are up to now very underwhelming for anything above office-level of usage, and the lowest of the low-end gpus from recent architectures (and not simply Polaris cards left over from 2016) are very expensive (several hundred euros) AND with a huge TDP. The only company that might throw a bone to the mainstream audience is Nvidia with the upcoming 3050. AMD simply has no plans to service the segment in any way. Intel is our only hope for an opensource driver mainstream card.

And it is not just me. You can go around the internet and you will find plenty of people looking to upgrade but can't, not just because prices are overinflated as a whole, but also because they don't really want or need 1440p/4k raytracing (which is mostly a gimmick in practice) AAA gaming.
                    You're discovering the semiconductor shortage and blaming it on disinterest in selling mid range GPUs instead of inability to make them. The 1650 and the 5500/5300 class GPUs will have equivalents in price point and power in the 3000 and 6000 generation once they have the ability to supply enough GPUs. Anything lower than those is in fact part of the iGPU class now.

Comment

Funny how raytracing and GPU video encoding weren't important until NVIDIA told you it's important. It's almost like your needs are being shaped and your money siphoned into gimmicks you didn't even care about a few years ago.
                      It is always the same with Nvidia fanboys (and their "marketing people"). For example, remember back in the early 2000s when Ati had a hardware tesselator? Hardware tesselation was one of the key elements of D3D11/OpenGL4.x, and Ati had it introduced in the D3D8.1/Opengl1.3 days! Tech of the future! Did anyone care about it? Not really, cause Nvidia didn't have it. It wasn't important. But when Nvidia was forced to include it (software based on the shaders), suddenly it became so important that many "the way it's meant to be paid" games included tremendous amounts of tesselation that made no sense, just to make Nvidia look good. Suddenly it was "important".

Nvidia is a marketing company, not a tech company.
                      Last edited by TemplarGR; 12 April 2021, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X