X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• danboid
    replied
    It works - at last!

Actually yes - if you install the latest 2D and 3D ppa poulsbo drivers for jaunty and use the xorg.conf in the last post on this page:

I recently bought the Dell Mini 12 (unfortunately the Vista version, ubuntu hadn't been offered yet) and have been trying to install various distros on it for quite a while but have had no success. Dell just started selling the Ubunutu version so the laptop should support it, but I can never get the installer to load X. I've been copying the image to a USB drive and booting from it. It loads, but when it goes to start X it stops and simply brings up the commmand prompt. Trying to start X

You can now get accelerated GL/compiz working on your GMA500 without regular lock ups!

Dunno about other distros - be good to hear if anyone has had any luck getting these drivers working with Debian, Arch, Gentoo or whatever.

Leave a comment:

• gururise
    replied
    Here we are in August.. any updates to the Poulsbo driver debacle? Can we at least get a working 3d binary blob driver that runs on the latest kernels?

I too got scammed into buying a netbook thinking "oh, intel graphics! thats supported under linux!"

Leave a comment:

• Ex-Cyber
    replied
    Originally posted by danboid View Post
    So just how similar is the GMA500 to the GFX chipset used by the Pandora and Beagleboard?
    Details are hard to come by for obvious reasons, but the GMA 500 is widely rumored to have SGX535, while the OMAP3 has SGX530. From various rumors about speed and API support, this seems to be largely a netbook/UMPC vs. smartphone distinction; ImgTec has this to say about how the "SGX Series 5 Graphics IP Core Family" scales:

POWERVR SGX Series5 architecture is fully scalable for a wide range of area and performance requirements, enabling it to target a wide range of markets from low cost feature-rich mobile multimedia products to very high performance consoles and computing devices.
    Likewise, there's a generic Series 5 block diagram provided. I imagine they're quite similar...

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    I presume you've got a pouslbo device too then?
    No, I got burned by Imagination Technologies earlier, having bought a PowerVR Kyro. After many requests from the Linux community, they released a proprietary 2D/3D driver. But then Kernel 2.6 came, and they did not update the driver. So the device became almost useless, and ever since I bought hardware only after verifying that it works properly with open source drivers.
    So just how similar is the GMA500 to the GFX chipset used by the Pandora and Beagleboard?
    The Beagleboard is TI OMAP3530 / PowerVR SGX based, so uses a very similar graphics core full of ImgTec's intellectual property.
    or a netbook with HDMI and a r600/r700 type chip would be cool too
    The only widely available UMPCs with AMD CPU are Geode based (eg. the Hercules eCAF?) but this is probably not what you want. Raon Digital has shown prototypes of its Turion based netbook at last year's Computex, but no such products made it to Europe at least.

Leave a comment:

• danboid
    replied
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    The current recommendation is still that Linux users stay away from Intel Poulsbo/GMA500/US15W chipsets.

New developments in the meantime since the article was posted:

If I understand correctly, no plans exist to open source the proprietary parts. And if things will go the same route as the last proprietary PowerVR Linux driver, then you will be stuck with basic 2D forever.
    Thanks for that update chithanh - I presume you've got a pouslbo device too then? I don't really use Facebook but I will sign up to that group to make my unhappiness with Intel a bit more visible. I mean this is 2009- Linux users are ONE (1!)% of desktop users now!

So just how similar is the GMA500 to the GFX chipset used by the Pandora and Beagleboard? I'm fully expecting to receive a binary blob gfx driver with my Pandora when it initially arrives but of course nobody likes that. If the Beagle and Pandora get popular (and it looks like they could well take off with the Linux/ computer hobbyist market) and Intel/Imagination refuse to play nice with the open crowd then there will be much demand for open drivers and so theres a pretty good chance we'll see a team formed to reverse-engineer these drivers. If Pandora/Beagle and GMA500 are a pretty similar then that should aid this process I'd hope.

bridgman - any idea when we might hope to see something like the Zaurus cxxxx or the Pandora but with an ATI chip with (mini)HDMI output, running Linux and open source drivers? THATS what I really want!

EDIT

or a netbook with HDMI and a r600/r700 type chip would be cool too
    Last edited by danboid; 03 May 2009, 07:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bugmenot
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    ROFL, that's a nice one, thanks

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
    Intel has the money! Go intel, recover losses!
    It would take a lot of money. ImaginationTech's market cap is big, maybe 23B (not sure if that is USD or GBP).

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    I'm more interested in http://www.maketheblobactuallywork.com/allexceptnvidia/

:P

Leave a comment:

• bugmenot
    replied
    Intel has the money! Go intel, recover losses!

Maybe it is time for...

like it is still for nvidia:

?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Since Poulsbo uses a big chunk of third party IP it's almost definitely about releasing the source.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X