Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Announces Launch Date For 3rd Gen Xeon Scalable "Ice Lake"

Phoronix: Intel Announces Launch Date For 3rd Gen Xeon Scalable "Ice Lake"

One week ago AMD introduced the EPYC 7003 "Milan" processors while this morning Intel has made public when they will be formally introducing their 3rd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ice Lake aka Dead End Lake. The moment it gets released, the platform will be EOL'd to make room for Sapphire Rapids. Ice Lake may be the shortest lived server platform in Intel's history. It's kind of amazing that we're on the 3rd generation of EPYC with its 7nm PCIe4 platform, and next year we get AMD Genoa, in 5nm and likely with PCIe5. Yet right now today, you cannot buy an Intel server with anything better than 14nm and decade-old PCIe3. Tough time to be an Intel server sales rep, for sure!
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 22 March 2021, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      Ice Lake aka Dead End Lake. The moment it gets released, the platform will be EOL'd to make room for Sapphire Rapids. Ice Lake may be the shortest lived server platform in Intel's history. It's kind of amazing that we're on the 3rd generation of EPYC with its 7nm PCIe4 platform, and next year we get AMD Genoa, in 5nm and likely with PCIe5. Yet right now today, you cannot buy an Intel server with anything better than 14nm and decade-old PCIe3. Tough time to be an Intel server sales rep, for sure!
      While having technically superior products AMD is still limited by supply issues, while 14nm Intel seems to be abundant. Their 10nm stuff looks to be way trickier with countless iterations and a rumoured full-stop restart. Ice Lake-SP is very late.
      Both sides have been selling their products to "key customers" for some time now:A direct comparison will be very interesting to read.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

While having technically superior products AMD is still limited by supply issues, while 14nm Intel seems to be abundant.
        You know recently I found a deal on an Intel Thinkpad so I pulled the trigger; it has a "Comet Lake" chip that Intel's site says is from 2019 so I thought let me grab this since it's cheaper than Tiger Lake and surely I won't have to deal with the shortages for an older chip. I ordered it on March 3rd and the order status is "expected to ship" in the end of May. I called up Lenovo to ask "what gives?" and they confirmed the chip shortage extends to the Core i7 series too. Any "top of the line"-ish chip (even if it's not necessarily the latest iteration) I think is just hard to come by right now. (I didn't ask about i3 or i5 as I wouldn't be interested even if they were in stock)

Comment

Originally posted by swagg_boi View Post

You know recently I found a deal on an Intel Thinkpad so I pulled the trigger; it has a "Comet Lake" chip that Intel's site says is from 2019 so I thought let me grab this since it's cheaper than Tiger Lake and surely I won't have to deal with the shortages for an older chip. I ordered it on March 3rd and the order status is "expected to ship" in the end of May. I called up Lenovo to ask "what gives?" and they confirmed the chip shortage extends to the Core i7 series too. Any "top of the line"-ish chip (even if it's not necessarily the latest iteration) I think is just hard to come by right now. (I didn't ask about i3 or i5 as I wouldn't be interested even if they were in stock)
          I meant server chips specifically, but yes any type of a computer nowadays can be affected by the shortages.

However, last month I was able to order a nice HP laptop with a Ryzen 4700U with no problems at all. It was delivered the next day too, so it varies by time and region I guess... Or maybe I was just lucky

Comment

Ice Lake Server will upgrade several features ... 8 channels memory, next gen Optane support, memory speed, pcie4, Total Memory Encryption, cores to Sunny Cove. I believe they also increased the UPI bandwidth. Dual avx512. Oracle announced they'll use them in Oracle’s X9 Generation cloud.

Comment

Originally posted by jayN View Post
              Ice Lake Server will upgrade several features ... 8 channels memory, next gen Optane support, memory speed, pcie4, Total Memory Encryption
              Yes, basically they're playing a desperate catch-up game, as AMD EPYC has offered all of these things since 2019. I can't imagine too many folks are eager to be Intel's guinea pigs on a untested platform that is late to market, and may not be fully qual'd with the full PCIe4 ecosystem. While technologically, Intel is several years behind, they do have the advantage of in-house fabrication.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Ice Lake aka Dead End Lake. The moment it gets released, the platform will be EOL'd to make room for Sapphire Rapids. Ice Lake may be the shortest lived server platform in Intel's history.
                Why do you assume Sapphire Rapids is going to launch on time?

Comment

Originally posted by swagg_boi View Post
                  it has a "Comet Lake" chip that Intel's site says is from 2019 so I thought let me grab this since it's cheaper than Tiger Lake and surely I won't have to deal with the shortages for an older chip. I ordered it on March 3rd and the order status is "expected to ship" in the end of May. I called up Lenovo to ask "what gives?" and they confirmed the chip shortage extends to the Core i7 series too.
                  They're made on the same 14 nm fabs as most of Intel's chips. Supply is tight across the range. Just because Comet Lake is old and bad doesn't mean they have warehouses full of them, waiting to ship.

Anyway, I'm sorry you got hit by the shortage. I don't envy anyone trying to buy a PC, right now.

Comment

Originally posted by jayN View Post
                    Dual avx512
                    That's not new. Some Skylake-SP had it, too.

Funny thing about Ice Lake is that it was designed so long ago that other CPUs have already launched with newer AVX-512 instructions than it has.

Comment

Working...
                    X