Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Even In 2021, Intel Squeezes Some Very Nice Performance Gains Out Of Their OpenGL Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even In 2021, Intel Squeezes Some Very Nice Performance Gains Out Of Their OpenGL Driver

Phoronix: Even In 2021, Intel Squeezes Some Very Nice Performance Gains Out Of Their OpenGL Driver

While it's 2021 and many modern Linux gaming and other workloads are focusing on the Vulkan API, Intel isn't letting up in their aggressive optimizations to their open-source "Iris" OpenGL Gallium3D driver for Linux systems. With the latest Mesa 21.1 code today there is a set of patches providing up to 17% better performance in some games while other OpenGL software is generally a few percent faster at least. In some micro-benchmarks it can be more than 50% faster...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The benefits of open-source, code made by the "competition" might help your product and everything is fine 👍

Comment

What is this bs calling enabling a single new common feature "aggressive optimization"? They didn't even develop that particular feature, just plugged in their own code to make use of it!

Comment

so i965 is dead
        and my HD4600 is dead too?
        I will never understand why they make Gallium3D driver for 7gen iGPU then abandoned it after that

Comment

I wish Mesa 21 would work on my Raspberry Pi 4.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
            What is this bs calling enabling a single new common feature "aggressive optimization"? They didn't even develop that particular feature, just plugged in their own code to make use of it!
            It's called clickbait. No shortage of it here.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
              I think he's just focusing on the amount of benefit, which is the sort you often only see from aggressive optimizations. That resulted in the mental substitution, as he was reaching for words to describe the change.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Hz View Post
                It's called clickbait. No shortage of it here.
                Do you consider the optimization news-worthy? I do. So, then how many people clicked on the article because he described it as an aggressive optimization vs. if he had said they found a nice, juicy low-hanging fruit? I'm guessing that precise phrasing had no impact on the numbers. Finally, do you really think he intentionally tried to misrepresent the effort? As I've already said, I don't.

So, if it's newsworthy, the inaccuracy had no significant impact on the number of readers, and there's a plausible explanation for it that doesn't involve intentional misrepresentation, then it doesn't fit any reasonable definition of "click bait".

I think you're being too quick to judge. Maybe you should setup your own blog of Linux news and make sure to run everything though a professional editor before posting. Whatever you do or don't do, I think we don't need more negativity in these forums. It would be nice if people would be more thoughtful and less impulsive, when they criticize.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
                  I will never understand why they make Gallium3D driver for 7gen iGPU then abandoned it after that
                  Google made that driver for their Chromebooks. Intel never supported it.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    Do you consider the optimization news-worthy? I do. So, then how many people clicked on the article because he described it as an aggressive optimization vs. if he had said they found a nice, juicy low-hanging fruit? I'm guessing that precise phrasing had no impact on the numbers. Finally, do you really think he intentionally tried to misrepresent the effort? As I've already said, I don't.
                    It's still clickbait, regardless of the answer to any of those questions. Not sure why you're getting your panties in a twist about it.

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    I think you're being too quick to judge. Maybe you should setup your own blog of Linux news and make sure to run everything though a professional editor before posting.
                    I think you're being too quick to judge my accusations of clickbait. If you haven't published your own comprehensive English dictionary you haven't met the criteria for criticizing me I'm afraid. Better luck next time.
                    Last edited by 60Hz; 05 March 2021, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X