Intel's Open-Source Embree Ray-Tracing Library Wins An Academy Award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Open-Source Embree Ray-Tracing Library Wins An Academy Award

Phoronix: Intel's Open-Source Embree Ray-Tracing Library Wins An Academy Award

Intel's Embree open-source ray-tracing library has won an Academy Award in the form of a Scientific and Technical Achievement Award...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe intel needs to reorient itself toward being a software company, they certainly do far better in software than in the hardware department the last few years.

Come to think of it, they haven't been doing great before neither, it is just that there was no viable competition to illustrate that. They've been quite stagnant for like a decade before zen came out.

This way, they can save themselves the embarrassment from being beaten by minuscule competitors and "lifestyle" companies.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
      Maybe intel needs to reorient itself toward being a software company, they certainly do far better in software than in the hardware department the last few years.

Come to think of it, they haven't been doing great before neither, it is just that there was no viable competition to illustrate that. They've been quite stagnant for like a decade before zen came out.

This way, they can save themselves the embarrassment from being beaten by minuscule competitors and "lifestyle" companies.
      don't see much more successful software from Intel that this, and: do they make more money than zero with it?

Comment

My thoughts after reading that Intel won an Academy award:
        Did they win an Oscar?

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post
          Did they win an Oscar?
          No, but they will probably win an Emmy or two if they submit their marketing endeavors from the last couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

Let's not hope for that. It's not like AMD would be unable to give us the same treatment. Intel made mistakes, and now they pay the price, life goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post
              Did they win an Oscar?
              The little man statue they hand out is called Oscar. So yes Intel would have won one. The difference is that the technical stuff is awarded on a different day than the main show thought they usually include a small segment in the main show highlighting who won what. They always send a hottie to present the awards to the geeks.

When I was young and had no involvement in the industry the award show was must watch television. Now that I am in the industry I never watch it. I am interested in who won what on the technical side, but I usually find that out through NAB.

Comment

the best exploitable CPU ?
                or the best unsupported GPU drive ?

Comment

Originally Posted by italianphd
                  A huge list of engineering applications (that incorporate Embree) that I've been using to do my homework for my engineering diploma at International Telematic University UniNettuno: AutoCAD, Siemens Star CCM+, Ansys EnSight, Autodesk Revit.
                  Wondering what they are going to do next
                  I'm also curious about a real-time version of Embree for the DG2 (if it could ever be available). Perhaps it could become a good competitor to NVidia.

Comment

Working...
                  X