Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Publishes Initial Linux Driver Patches For New "Display13"

Phoronix: Intel Publishes Initial Linux Driver Patches For New "Display13"

Intel's open-source driver developers have begun posting patches for bringing up "Display13" as their next-gen display IP that looks like it will be introduced after the upcoming Rocket Lake / Alder Lake / DG1 platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and up to 255 watermark lines compared to the prior limit of 31
    Greeat... yet more DRM that will be about as effective as other DRM schemes with user hostile side effects. Anyone else remember the watermarked VHS tapes that were unwatchable on many TVs in the 80s?

Comment

stormcrow : Watermarks, in the context of a display controller, are just thresholds at which the display FIFO should be replenished from system memory in order to avoid an underrun which would result in a (at least partially) black screen.

No idea why it needed 31 thresholds before, and no idea why it would need 255 now. Maybe it is because they are shared for all the planes, in which case having 4 thresholds per plane was definitely needed

Comment

So Intel's DG1 will be the graphics card with the finest software support that money cannot buy... because they intentionally not only refuse to sell it to me, but spared no effort to make it impossible to run that graphics card in just any PC (as in "requires special BIOS").

Ok, I get it. The whole industry is not interested in my money. nVidia prevents open source drivers, AMD's drivers cannot run a week without crashing, and Intel's hardware is dongled to prevent using it on decent main boards.

Dear industry, I will survive with the hardware I have, privately as well as on the job. Good luck surviving without my money.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
          So Intel's DG1 will be the graphics card with the finest software support that money cannot buy... because they intentionally not only refuse to sell it to me, but spared no effort to make it impossible to run that graphics card in just any PC (as in "requires special BIOS").

Ok, I get it. The whole industry is not interested in my money. nVidia prevents open source drivers, AMD's drivers cannot run a week without crashing, and Intel's hardware is dongled to prevent using it on decent main boards.

Dear industry, I will survive with the hardware I have, privately as well as on the job. Good luck surviving without my money.
          You say "best support"... but they still haven't figured out how to handle 2 Xe gpus in the same system concurrently.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

You say "best support"... but they still haven't figured out how to handle 2 Xe gpus in the same system concurrently.
            If I had a job that really required both the iGPU Xe and the dGPU Xe to be working together properly, I will just put Windows 10 on that laptop, load up Intel's proprietary drivers, get the job done and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80
              OK, there was link provided to something like "How to get the most/best out of Intel graphics on Linux" . I lost it. Anyone recognise what i'm looking for, google fail
              Powersave, fast, low latency RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80

that certainly was it. thanks ! .
                Also i found this one while i was searching:
                https://www.ivanov.biz/2019/howto-op...-linux-laptop/
                Just ignore all that nonsense about the i915 module parameters. None of that stuff is going to do anything useful for you, and some of it could be actively harmful.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

That's just a temporary oversight. It's not that couldn't figure it out, more like they didn't start working on it ahead of time.....

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post

They're planning to release other proper dGPUs you know......that said, I'd love it if they made general purpose PCIe DG1 cards, those would be great as upgrades for older systems. Faster, more modern graphics APIs, newer codec support and high bandwidth display outputs. All on a small, low power card that can be powered off a PCIe slot and passively cooled.

​​​​

Comment

Working...
                    X