Intel Announces Iris Xe Desktop Graphics For OEMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
    Nice, if those are going to be well diffuse maybe Blender might consider to work on the opensource driver compatibility, so far the only way to use hardware acceleration on Blender is through binary blobs, pretty ironic for a software that is famous for being a flagship of the free software...
    What are you talking about? Blender can run hardware accelerated on AMD and Intel GPUs with Mesa. Do you mean rendering via GPU?

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post

What are you talking about? Blender can run hardware accelerated on AMD and Intel GPUs with Mesa. Do you mean rendering via GPU?
      Blender for rendering only (officially) supports the proprietary drivers:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Blender

Blender only supports the official AMD proprietary drivers for rendering with OpenCL, meaning you will need to install one of the following AMD OpenCL drivers:

Blender officially supports only the proprietary drivers from both AMD (for GCN cards: AMDGPU; For pre-GCN cards: ATI) and NVIDIA. After installing the proprietary drivers, one can select the graphics card as a compute device under Edit > Preferences... > System

As late as 2019 AMD paid to get a developer to implement OpenCL but it has always taken a back seat.
      I also believe its strict requirements on OpenGL 3.3 just to render a cube also excludes Nouveau.

Comment

I cant understand the point of this gpu this days, the new cpu have the same or better igpu Amd/intel talking but ok maybe for people with older cpu or a amd cpu ryzen who only need a cheap gpu for desktop who use open drivers

Comment

I'm wondering if this or a later (possibly headless) variant could be used to seamlessly accelerate an existing on-board Intel GPU....

Need more GPU-cores than built-in? Just plug in a PCIe or M.2 card!

Comment

I don't know why but a PS5 is cheaper than a graphics card, and it also come in case with a PSU, ram and an ssd (win win!!).
            I wonder why we don't put linux in this... I know Nintendo 64 devices might be cheaper but still not as expensive as an Apple M1 laptop!
            Congrats Intel for not shipping drivers in time, and thanks America for this freaking corporate business culture where companies become untouchable gods (Microsoft).. I was just reading about the whole neutrality debate in your country, and oh god you're so fucked up.

Comment

Originally posted by mb_q View Post
              Just like the only usable Microsoft products are their keyboards, maybe Intel will also settle on great peripherals (;
              They actually produce best gamepads =P

Comment

Well Intel apparently is already doing the chiplet design for their GPU's, at least in house. I think their top tier one has 4 chiplets and eats 400W..
                but by the time that comes out we will be looking at 40series and 7k series GPU's from NVIDIA/AMD respectfully.

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                I don't know why but a PS5 is cheaper than a graphics card, .
                The PS5 technically has capabilities similar to the 5700XT cards, but with extra stuff on top to support ray tracing, the GPU's are bought in BGA form and don't need a custom daughter boards. PS5 is meant to be $749AUD here in Australia (can be more due to stock shortages) which is above many GPU costs.

Also the CPU+GPU are on a single wafer from what I understand which just reduces the cost yet again.
                Then you have Sony and MS willing to take small profit losses to get the consoles out the door because software sales is how they recoup those losses down the line.
                GPU vendors nor retailers would EVER sell without a worthwhile profit margin. 6800 NON-XT here sells for $1149-1300AUD for example!
                Last edited by theriddick; 26 January 2021, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
                  They haven't been trying for long at all. They sure as hell won't produce a product competing with top of the line AMD and NVidia in one generation. That's just common sense to anyone that isn't an idiot. It'll take at least 3
                  Well, they've been trying since before they announced Larrabee, as that was originally supposed to be a GPGPU... it's just that it was kind of rubbish, so it was delayed, unpopular, expensive and abandoned quickly. And Intel have been doing integrated graphics for even longer (although a CPU-integrated GPU is more recent) so they've obviously had some practice. It just appears like their graphics division has always been the third-rate, underfunded section where, "Meh, it shows something, that's good enough" is the target.

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                  I don't know why but a PS5 is cheaper than a graphics card, and it also come in case with a PSU, ram and an ssd (win win!!).
                  I wonder why we don't put linux in this... I know Nintendo 64 devices might be cheaper but still not as expensive as an Apple M1 laptop!
                  Congrats Intel for not shipping drivers in time, and thanks America for this freaking corporate business culture where companies become untouchable gods (Microsoft).. I was just reading about the whole neutrality debate in your country, and oh god you're so fucked up.
                  Consoles aren't really a good comparison, as they are usually loss-leaders (exception: Nintendo) where the console itself actually loses money, which is made back in game sales, etc.

Sony did allow Linux on the early firmwares for the "fat" PS3 - they ended up removing it; ostensibly, IIRC, because "no one used it" - except a couple of universities, the US military and others who had clusters of PS3s! - but actually it turned out to be a gaping security hole which made cracking the console simpler.

Given that the PS4 runs a *BSD (I remember reading that, not sure where, might be wrong) I'd like to see Sony offer a "PlayStation desktop" alternate boot mode - although, again, if they allowed you to install/compile anything... it's asking to have the console DRM broken. Which Sony obviously do not want.

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post

It is funny that you mentioned that. I remember Microsoft produced the first afforded optical mouse ( for you old timers out there, remember having to open up that ball mouse and clean out all of that gunk?). I bought one of those almost immediately. Now we take optical mice for granted. They also used to produce some really good games. The Age of Empire series is still, IMHO, one of the best RTS games out there (like Empire Earth, Command and Conquer, StarCraft, and Warcraft) and the Dudgeon Siege series was an excellent RPG ( again, IMHO).

Now they focus on Windows (primarily as SaaS, Azure, and Office.
                  Microsoft still do games - they just focus on XBox and the Microsoft Store. Forza, Gears of War, Halo etc are all work from Microsoft studios. I liked Age of Empires, but AoE2 and AoE3 left me cold. Dungeon Siege was fun, but 2 and 3 were not as good.

I bought the Intellimouse Explorer Optical. Loved it. Really comfortable, although I might be in rose-tinted-glasses mode...

I really miss their gaming hardware division; the Sidewinder joysticks were great... and affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by Viki Ai View Post
                    I'm wondering if this or a later (possibly headless) variant could be used to seamlessly accelerate an existing on-board Intel GPU....

Need more GPU-cores than built-in? Just plug in a PCIe or M.2 card!
                    Newbie thoughts, yippee. Any GPUs, integrated or not, can be combined to assist each other. What cores they contain is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                      I cant understand the point of this gpu this days, the new cpu have the same or better igpu Amd/intel talking but ok maybe for people with older cpu or a amd cpu ryzen who only need a cheap gpu for desktop who use open drivers
                      In principle this GPU exists because it allows Intel to offer sizeable discounts for OEMs who choose an "Intel bundle" instead of equipping their desktop computers with AMD chips. Basically there is no other reason for an OEM to favour an Intel graphics card. I guess even AMD is doing this and Intel wants more ammo to fight back.

Comment

Working...
                      X