Intel Announces Iris Xe Desktop Graphics For OEMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kver View Post

Ahahaha! I'm going to be eyeballing Intel GPUs for exactly this purpose! Michael, when you get your hands on one of these I'd kill to see a 4K->1080p and 1080p->720p transcoding benchmark between red, green and blue.

Which will be hilarious, if it's viable and we might see AMD CPU and Intel GPU systems. Oh how the turns have tabled!
    I agree....as I mentioned earlier, we have seen myriads of examples with Intel CPU and AMD GPU. Hell I even remember nVidia making north bridge chipsets for AMD CPUs (and they were excellent), but that stopped once AMD bought ATI.
    GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I have thought about this in the past and my honest guess is because graphics simply aren't that interesting as technical challenges. A team smart enough to make one are probably having more fun working on other unsolved problems.

Likewise those who are only interested in money know that GPUs that aren't NVIDIA or AMD branded are not well received by the consumer communities. So they would not see a good return for their efforts thus they aim them elsewhere (making more shite mobile phones I imagine).
      You have a very valid point, but did not Intel poach some AMD GPU people a few years ago? I may be wrong, but I seem to remember something like that.

Comment

That is disappointing. I wonder how they are going to apply that DRM. Will the card need some specific firmware from the BIOS?

Hopefully it will only be the proprietary Windows driver that will be artificially crippled?
        As I said earlier - Hope is not a course of action, but many time it seems to be a condition for success.

Comment

Nice, if those are going to be well diffuse maybe Blender might consider to work on the opensource driver compatibility, so far the only way to use hardware acceleration on Blender is through binary blobs, pretty ironic for a software that is famous for being a flagship of the free software...

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

How not to sell and generate sales it would appear, a self inflicted firearms wound to the sales chart.
            Firearms? More like artillery.

Comment

Originally posted by mb_q View Post
              Counting iGPU, Intel could probably already be called a top GPU vendor... Anyhow, a modern, low-TDP discrete GPU capable of handling 2-3 4k displays with minor loads like video decoding and desktop compositing, with a proper Linux support would be a cool product. For now, there is technically Radeon 5500, but it is a total overkill.

Just like the only usable Microsoft products are their keyboards, maybe Intel will also settle on great peripherals (;
              It is funny that you mentioned that. I remember Microsoft produced the first afforded optical mouse ( for you old timers out there, remember having to open up that ball mouse and clean out all of that gunk?). I bought one of those almost immediately. Now we take optical mice for granted. They also used to produce some really good games. The Age of Empire series is still, IMHO, one of the best RTS games out there (like Empire Earth, Command and Conquer, StarCraft, and Warcraft) and the Dudgeon Siege series was an excellent RPG ( again, IMHO).

Now they focus on Windows (primarily as SaaS, Azure, and Office.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                Nice, if those are going to be well diffuse maybe Blender might consider to work on the opensource driver compatibility, so far the only way to use hardware acceleration on Blender is through binary blobs, pretty ironic for a software that is famous for being a flagship of the free software...
                Yes, it is a little frustrating. I think potentially Blender is starting to get pulled around by a number of commercial entities these days. Each pushing their own agenda. In some ways this is good, Blender is starting to become competitive against Maya etc. But in others it is a bad thing, it is starting to become too "big and professional". Already its use of OpenGL 3.x is a pain in the butt for me.

Actually I predicted that Blender is going to be too awkward for me to use in the future, I decided to hack on an old Quake III level editor to turn it into a generic 3D modeller and lightmap baker: http://thamessoftware.co.uk/openradiant/

Comment

Actually I predicted that Blender is going to be too awkward for me to use in the future, I decided to hack on an old Quake III level editor to turn it into a generic 3D modeller and lightmap baker: http://thamessoftware.co.uk/openradiant/
                  Blender cannot be more awkward as it used to be...

Anyway I understand it is mainly focused on professional but I am the embarrassing situation to switch on Windows when I try to teach Blender to my son because the HW acceleration.

I am impressed about you project!

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                    Blender cannot be more awkward as it used to be...
                    Haha, yes good point.

Up until recently the Python API had at least remained consistent. Them removing the Blender render was kid of the last straw for me.

Btw, if you are keeping things slightly simple for your son, you might be able to get away with using LLVMpipe for Blender. High OpenGL support but at the cost of it all being rendered (fairly quickly) in software. It should work provided you don't have millions of polygons.

You can enable this via:

Code:
                    $ LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 blender

Comment

It will be so funny if this summer the only attainable GPUs will be Intel Xes

Comment

Working...
                      X