No announcement yet.

Intel Announces Iris Xe Desktop Graphics For OEMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the plan is to get rid of integrated graphics on mid to high end desktop parts... IMHO, that would be Intel putting a gun to their own head. One of the more compelling features of Intel CPUs is the breadth of their iGPU implementations (vs. AMD). Just saying. Makes you wonder anyhow. Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      Looks like I was right when I predicted they'd first go after the low TDP end of the business workstation market, and potentially the CAD market (where cards like the AMD WX3100 and the NVidia P400 are the dominant entry level cards), and not even attempt to compete in the gaming pc market.
      I think that you might be right - that is certainly the market to try for first as they have a lot of name recognition - they may also use "lessons learned" from this to try to gain a real foothold in the external graphics card market. Even if they do not enter the high end gaming market, competition at any level is good for the rest of us.
      Last edited by f0rmat; 26 January 2021, 01:51 PM. Reason: Grammar and clarity.
      GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Ironically, this might be the perfect candidate for a the Si-Five RISC-V motherboard...

Comment

Don't get your hopes up about this one. It is a locked-in card that won't work in normal motherboards:
          The Iris Xe discrete add-in card will be paired with 9th gen (Coffee Lake-S) and 10th gen (Comet Lake-S) Intel® Core™ desktop processors and Intel(R) B460, H410, B365, and H310C chipset-based motherboards and sold as part of pre-built systems. These motherboards require a special BIOS that supports Intel Iris Xe, so the cards won’t be compatible with other systems.

Comment

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post
            Ironically, this might be the perfect candidate for a the Si-Five RISC-V motherboard...
            That is too funny. I remember some SuperMicro Intel powered micro atx boards using AMD Rage graphics chips on them.
            GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Counting iGPU, Intel could probably already be called a top GPU vendor... Anyhow, a modern, low-TDP discrete GPU capable of handling 2-3 4k displays with minor loads like video decoding and desktop compositing, with a proper Linux support would be a cool product. For now, there is technically Radeon 5500, but it is a total overkill.

Just like the only usable Microsoft products are their keyboards, maybe Intel will also settle on great peripherals (;

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
                It is a locked-in card that won't work in normal motherboards:
                That is disappointing. I wonder how they are going to apply that DRM. Will the card need some specific firmware from the BIOS?

Hopefully it will only be the proprietary Windows driver that will be artificially crippled?

Comment

Don't get your hopes up about this one. It is a locked-in card that won't work in normal motherboards:
                  How not to sell and generate sales it would appear, a self inflicted firearms wound to the sales chart.

Comment

Originally posted by prazola View Post
                    Perfect for my Jellyfin server, it should be really good for on-fly encoding.
                    Ahahaha! I'm going to be eyeballing Intel GPUs for exactly this purpose! Michael, when you get your hands on one of these I'd kill to see a 4K->1080p and 1080p->720p transcoding benchmark between red, green and blue.

Which will be hilarious, if it's viable and we might see AMD CPU and Intel GPU systems. Oh how the turns have tabled!

Comment

I wonder if it just requires an option rom to be built into the motherboard firmware? If so, it shouldn't be too hard to add support.

Comment

Working...
                      X