Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Has A New Driver For Linux 5.12: Reporting Your Laptop's Hinge/Keyboard Angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
    Maybe its just me, but what could this possibly be used for? Is it even used in OEM software or windows?
    Playing an "oh nooo" clip when the laptop slips off from the table.

Comment

Maybe its just me, but what could this possibly be used for? Is it even used in OEM software or windows?
      Of course it is used on Windows. Linux is always behind when it comes to driver features, remember?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

It's not like the operating system will adjust the display's brightness or activate its digital privacy feature based on the angle, and I sure as hell don't want that happening.
        That's not true. Lenovo has a foldable ThinkPad out for a few months now and it actually adjusts the display based on how far you've opened it, i.e. the angle.

Comment

If it works in Windows, then I expect it to work in Linux.

Comment

Those laptops that have different modes based on how you position/swivel the display. Such as changing from a desktop to tablet UX.

My laptop turns off the display at a near closed angle, as someone else mentions this is handled by the BIOS probably, but with this driver your system could respond to that event and do something if you wanted it to (turn off wifi or other things maybe if it's not supporting S3/suspend? switch to powersave profiles, etc).

Comment

Perhaps there is an education use-case: you can now use your laptop to measure angles.

Comment

Ever seen people at conferences? Sometimes, they have their lid half closed for whatever reasons they have; but they usually do so because angle=0 would trigger the default suspend action, and they don't want that. But since text is hard to read at angle=45, you could, now that you know the exact angle and not just two states, turn off the screen at angle 45 and still have suspend with angle 0.
                Originally posted by elattlat
                It could not know the difference between table /\ and bed \¯ (or inclined stand ¦ ) with a single accelerometer under the keyboard
                The accelerometer only tells you acceleration and/or the tilt of the keyboard relative to gravity (angle between keyboard and ground), which is, mathematically, something completely different than angle between screen and keyboard. Also, no net gravity in space or the Vomit Comet airplane (they do use laptops there).
                Originally posted by George99
                Playing an "oh nooo" clip when the laptop slips off from the table.
                For fall detection, you need an accelerometer, not a potentiometer (which is what the hinge angle mechanism probably uses).

Comment

This is great - now I don't need to carry a laptop AND a speed square everywhere...

Looking forward to the first HingeMark numbers.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 24 January 2021, 09:24 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

So many great comments in this thead.

Interesting.

Funnily enough, my old Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro autodetects the screen position (landscape/portrait and laptop/tablet position)... the laptop/tablet thing needs Windows to work correctly (and switched between "desktop" Windows 8.1 and "tablet mode" Windows 8.1) but the landscape/portrait detection appeared to be completely independent of OS, as it worked in both Linux and Windows. I also remember shutting it down once in "tablet portrait" mode, and it displaying the Lenovo logo in portrait mode when I turned it back on later... but to be honest I have no idea whether that was correct or not, as Windows loaded in laptop/landscape mode.

Comment

My guess it will be used to play a game named "Bellows". Maybe even accelerate Vulkan.

Comment

Working...
                      X