Intel Rolls Out 10nm Pentium/Celeron CPUs, Previews Rocket Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
    Still no sign of a desktop Tremont / Jasper Lake desktop CPU... They released the J5005 in Q4'17, and still no successor.
    What about the J6413 ? It's a J Series celeron with better specs, higher IPC, much better graphics, it was announced a little while ago, launching this Q1 2021.

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    Those Pentium and Celeron models are part of their Atom line right?
    Not really, they are similar technology but the product itself is a bit differente. Atoms are geared towards IoT, embedded, Industrial, and learning devices. Celeron and Pentium is like that but aimed towards consumers in general, notebook, minipc, tablets, and so on. The line does get blurry on some lineups though, but sometimes atoms (despite lower performance in some cases) get special features, which is why they can't be super cheap compared to some celeron.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      I'm glad the Tremont-based CPUs are finally getting launched. These aren't your grandaddy's Atoms.
      (...)
      The only real complaint I have is about the lack of AVX/AVX2. Don't care about AVX-512, but it'd be nice of these little cores would finally reach ISA parity with Haswell.
      I have a beef with intel relating to their segmentation strategy.

However, having read the thread, I accept that there might be a power envelope / die space argument to be made here. With that in mind, how much extra die space would AVX2 add (or even just a 2x128bit AVX2 implementation like the one found on Zen and Zen+)? Because this seems like very deliberate segmentation to avoid laptop-makers going for the Atom line of CPUs in their ultralight models?

I'd wager that to many people, a ~3GHz 10W TDP quad core with AVX2 (for faster or more power-efficient media operations such as image/video manipulation stuff for presentations) would be all the CPU they'd ever need on a daily basis?

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
        This wasn't that hard to find. I am not sure why you weren't able to lookup the information yourselves.
        It's not a function of able, it's a function of willing. Not willing to perform independent research to validate the nonsensical assertions of others.

Originally posted by atomsymbol
        Clearly, I do not approve of linking "Teachers and students" to "3DMark Fire Strike graphics score".
        Case in point, I'm glad I didn't take any time out of my day, to uncover that Intel believes 3DMark Fire Strike = STEM. Not sure if this is clueless marketeers, or if it's intel being dishonest. Prob a mix of both.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          I will readily give my data to the Chinese if it means that the Americans can't get their hands on it.
          Mmmkay. You do you boo.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
            The most interesting part is they are making the cpu's backwards compatible with previous chipsets.
            Not with all chipsets, only Z490/Q470/H470. Lower end motherboards based on B460 and H410 will not support Rocket Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              You mean they all offer motherboards that support it? Definitely not all big-name X570 boards support it, though. It's still a minority of models, mostly those aimed at workstation or server use.
              Even the lowest end X570 mobos support ECC to my knowledge. For example the Gigabyte X570 UD. The only exception is MSI.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                Even the lowest end X570 mobos support ECC to my knowledge. For example the Gigabyte X570 UD. The only exception is MSI.
                That's not what I found, last I checked.

Just looking at the X570 motherboard specifications, on ASUS' website:
                • 2 boards specifically say non-ECC memory
                • 3 boards don't mention ECC, in the memory specifications
                • 7 boards specifically mention that ECC support varies by CPU model
                • 2 specifically list ECC memory support (presumably, these boards don't support APUs)

Anyway, the best advice is always to check the docs (specifically user manual and memory QVL), on the manufacturer's website, before purchasing a motherboard with the expectation of using ECC RAM in it.

Comment

It is funny on one of their slides they say: "Resizable BAR - Partnered with Nvidia and ecosystem ...". Are they afraid to name AMD by name or what? What about Mesa? How about naming them too?

Comment

Working...
                  X