Intel Rolls Out 10nm Pentium/Celeron CPUs, Previews Rocket Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    I'm glad the Tremont-based CPUs are finally getting launched. These aren't your grandaddy's Atoms.

The only real complaint I have is about the lack of AVX/AVX2. Don't care about AVX-512, but it'd be nice of these little cores would finally reach ISA parity with Haswell.
    They don't have AVX? Ouch. Didn't some big distro drew the line of support on AVX capable CPUs recently? If that is the case, those brand new CPUs wouldn't be supported.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
      No ECC memory support I presume.

what Linus said ...
      To be fair, AMD's side isn't much prettier. ECC support was left to motherboard manufacturers and most don't do it. I heard that only Ryzen-pro models really support ECC on enterprise-class PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

They don't have AVX? Ouch. Didn't some big distro drew the line of support on AVX capable CPUs recently? If that is the case, those brand new CPUs wouldn't be supported.
        Yeah it totally sucks ... OTOH AVX isn't exactly a power-friendly instruction set ... if you want 6W TDP, you gotta sacrifice some stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

To be fair, AMD's side isn't much prettier. ECC support was left to motherboard manufacturers and most don't do it. I heard that only Ryzen-pro models really support ECC on enterprise-class PCs.
          Yeah, the discussion of whether retail AMD Ryzen processors support ECC spawned a light-year thread in the prior article (the one about Linus).

You know, there is actually a way to test it out to some degree. With an AMD Ryzen retail, on an x570 pro mobo or similar, you try vanilla rowhammer (not ECCploit) ... If you're successful at vanilla rowhammer, it means that ECC doesn't work. If you're not successful ... well, you haven't really learnt much.

Comment

"create your STEM project up to 78% faster."
            That is some serious use of marketing buzzwords
            I wonder what they are actually referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
              Still no sign of a desktop Tremont / Jasper Lake desktop CPU... They released the J5005 in Q4'17, and still no successor.
              uhhhm, hi https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-3-30-ghz.html

Comment

Underwhelming Intel, as Peter Cook once sang, "You fill me with inertia"

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  Huh? Every even-numbered model number (i.e. if you look at the thousands digit) introduced a new socket, going clear back to Sandybridge. Sanybridge (2000-series), Haswell (4000-series), Skylake (6000-series), Coffee Lake (8000-series), and Comet Lake (10000-series). This simply maintains the pattern.
                  TBH they kind of skipped the 5th gen by not really releasing more than token Broadwell dektop offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by Intel
                    Partnered closely with Nvidia
                    How?! How dare you partner with the arch-enemy of open!

What happened to the fused Intel+AMD GPU laptop chip?

Comment

Is anyone know when Ryzen-based laptops going to get USB4 (and eGPU) support? It's 2021 already

Comment

Working...
                      X