Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Rolls Out 10nm Pentium/Celeron CPUs, Previews Rocket Lake

Phoronix: Intel Rolls Out 10nm Pentium/Celeron CPUs, Previews Rocket Lake

Intel's virtual CES press conference took place today. Here are the highlights from 10nm Pentium Silver and Celeron processors to a preview of Rocket Lake and forthcoming 11th Gen Core H processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The most interesting part is they are making the cpu's backwards compatible with previous chipsets. They haven't done that before on a tick phase. Must be getting tired of screwing themselves and the customers in the ass..urance of TCO.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
      The most interesting part is they are making the cpu's backwards compatible with previous chipsets. They haven't done that before on a tick phase. Must be getting tired of screwing themselves and the customers in the ass..urance of TCO.
      Huh? Every even-numbered model number (i.e. if you look at the thousands digit) introduced a new socket, going clear back to Sandybridge. Sanybridge (2000-series), Haswell (4000-series), Skylake (6000-series), Coffee Lake (8000-series), and Comet Lake (10000-series). This simply maintains the pattern.

Comment

Those Pentium and Celeron models are part of their Atom line right?

Comment

I'm glad the Tremont-based CPUs are finally getting launched. These aren't your grandaddy's Atoms.

Intel's Lakefield presentation showed them to offer better performance than even Sunny Cove, at comparable power levels. However, near the peak of its performance envelope (at about 60% the performance of the big core), Tremont is overtaken by it.

The only real complaint I have is about the lack of AVX/AVX2. Don't care about AVX-512, but it'd be nice of these little cores would finally reach ISA parity with Haswell.
          Last edited by coder; 11 January 2021, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            Those Pentium and Celeron models are part of their Atom line right?
            Yeah, in much the same way that Rocket Lake is a descendant of Nehalem. You're looking at many generations of improvements, here. See the link in my post, above.

Comment

Still no sign of a desktop Tremont / Jasper Lake desktop CPU... They released the J5005 in Q4'17, and still no successor.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                Still no sign of a desktop Tremont / Jasper Lake desktop CPU... They released the J5005 in Q4'17, and still no successor.
                I don't know what you consider a "desktop" CPU, but these are all SoCs, just like what you'll find in low-end NUCs and soldered on some desktop motherboards.

It sounds to me like the Pentium N6005 is a direct successor to the J5005.

Comment

No ECC memory support I presume.

what Linus said ...

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    The only real complaint I have is about the lack of AVX/AVX2. Don't care about AVX-512, but it'd be nice of these little cores would finally reach ISA parity with Haswell.
                    Those celeron and pentium chips don't use Xe graphics and no AV1 decoding. So they are a lot worse than they could have been. Will have to wait another generation for them to be more enticing.

Comment

Working...
                    X