Intel Haswell GT1 Graphics Have Been Busted The Past Half-Year On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Haswell GT1 Graphics Have Been Busted The Past Half-Year On Linux

Phoronix: Intel Haswell GT1 Graphics Have Been Busted The Past Half-Year On Linux

While Intel is generally well regarded for their Linux development practices especially as it pertains to continuous integration and their test labs for vetting code prior to reaching the mainline Linux kernel to minimize the risk of regressions or other unintended side effects, those running older Haswell GT1 low-end graphics have seen the past several kernel versions going back a half-year yield a GPU hang at boot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I regret moving to Linux in my ivy bridge laptop with HD 4000 and i forced to use windows 7 again and use Linux in my main PC only

Comment

Anyone know of any similar situation that happened with NVIDIA and their proprietary driver?

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
        I regret moving to Linux in my ivy bridge laptop with HD 4000 and i forced to use windows 7 again and use Linux in my main PC only
        Curious, why? I'm running 5.9.16 on HD4000 without issue.
        Don't expect much and seldom disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
          i7 3xxx user here with a HD 4000. Everything worked right out of the box (Debian unstable) and I never experienced any display/gpu problems in all the years.
          It even has Vulkan support OOTB.

What were your problems?

Comment

I have an i7 4xxx with hd4000. I dont use this device each day but I always compile the latest kernel (5.10.4 at the Moment). No issue so far.

Comment

If Chris Wilson also jumps the ship they can stop providing kernel drivers at all. Still it'd be nice to continue seeing the Intel Mesa guys around.

Comment

Article states that the GFX chip is used in lower end processors that have "HD Graphics 2000" or "HD Graphics", none of the I3, I5, or i7 qualify, just the celerons and low end "pentiums" produced by intel based on the haswell-DT have these GFX on chip.

Comment

Originally posted by stargeizer View Post
                  Article states that the GFX chip is used in lower end processors that have "HD Graphics 2000" or "HD Graphics", none of the I3, I5, or i7 qualify, just the celerons and low end "pentiums" produced by intel based on the haswell-DT have these GFX on chip.
                  Yeah I am one of those affected with my Acer 720p brainwashed Chromebook (Haswell Celeron 2955U). The issue on hand has indeed nothing to do with issues reported for HD Graphics. I didn't have problems with this Chromebook graphicswise for a long time, neither with modesetting nor i915 driver. But indeed both drivers broke after linux 5.6 as described: directly after login (sddm) the GPU has hangs KDE.

It's a pain, but running linux 5.6 for the time being at least is a workaround.

Comment

HD4000 is Ivy Bridge, so it's not affected by this regression.

Comment

Working...
                    X