Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Releases High Performance Computing Reference Stack 2.0

Phoronix: Intel Releases High Performance Computing Reference Stack 2.0

Intel has released their High Performance Computing Reference Stack 2.0 as the latest Docker image optimized for HPC/AI workloads...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The irony of the vendor with the worst (i.e. mostly non-existent) hardware having the most developed open software stack...

Comment

I wonder what this will mean for Scientific Linux.

Comment

Did they give a reason for not using clear ?

Comment

Originally posted by StillStuckOnSI View Post
          The irony of the vendor with the worst (i.e. mostly non-existent) hardware having the most developed open software stack...
          If you go by volume shipped it's AMD that's almost non-existent when compared to Intel

Comment

We're talking GPUs here, so almost non-existent > 0. Also IIRC AMD has shipped a good number of datacentre cards while Intel's supercomputer contract is in hot water.

Comment

Originally posted by StillStuckOnSI View Post
              We're talking GPUs here, so almost non-existent > 0. Also IIRC AMD has shipped a good number of datacentre cards while Intel's supercomputer contract is in hot water.
              By Intel's press release this is both for CPU and GPU. The README on GitHub even has this in it:

Prerequisites
              HPCRS can run on any host system running Linux which supports IntelĀ® Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (IntelĀ® AVX-512) and Docker
              So... it requires a CPU with AVX-512 in order to run?

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
                By Intel's press release this is both for CPU and GPU
                I'm aware, but a) Intel's high-end CPU stock (i.e. the stuff that actually has AVX-512) has been equally dodgy, and b) said supercomputer contract is also for CPUs and GPUs.

Not to mention that the majority focus of Intel PR around this compute stack has been WRT GPUs and other accelerators, not CPUs. I mean kudos to this software team for having a coherent strategy, but it's no secret how dysfunctional the bringup for their recent hardware has been.

Comment

Originally posted by sn99 View Post
                  Did they give a reason for not using clear ?
                  Yeah I also find this a little confusing.

Comment

Working...
                  X