No announcement yet.

Intel Xe Graphics Are Looking Great On Linux 5.11 With Nice Performance Uplift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, on Linux, NVidia proprietary is still troublesome and buggy, Nouveau is slow, AMD cards tend to consume twice as much power... we are pretty much left with Intel, even if it's the slowest solution, at least it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

I don't expect too much for 2021. The game is heating up for AMD and Nvidia, both are seriously advancing currently and won't stop. Both have years of experience in selling working high performance GPUs, while Intel doesn't. Intel is also still messing around with their manufacturing process, delaying each and every product. I don't think they'll be able to place big orders at TSMC, since Apple, AMD and others offer a different kind of perspective for TSMC. And: their prior tries building a high performance GPU really sucked big time. I expect intel to be able to build something vaguely competing in the entry to mid level, i expect them to fail in any other regard until they reach at least their second or third generation of their now bigger efforts.
      I am more optimistic but out of necessity, Intel acquired a lot of talent over the years, they also have the deep pockets and hopefully the determination to iterate on their offerings to keep up to AMD's and Nvidia's pace. But if the market will be as hungry for more GPUs as it is now when entering the market, they are going to sell anything they bring to the table if the price/performance ratio is right. The rumor mill says that Xe-HPG will be on 6 nm TSMC, so manufacturing should not be an issue.

I believe it when I see it though.

Comment

Originally posted by fagzal View Post
        Well, on Linux, NVidia proprietary is still troublesome and buggy, Nouveau is slow, AMD cards tend to consume twice as much power... we are pretty much left with Intel, even if it's the slowest solution, at least it works.
        Have you looked at perf/watt numbers for RDNA2 ? In Michael's tests as well as Windows tests the latest generation is at or near the top in terms of power/perf:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...00-linux&num=1 (near the end)

The Radeon RX 6800 XT is a worthy opponent to the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080. It offers similar performance at better power efficiency and lower noise levels. In our Radeon RX 6800 XT review, we also take a closer look at raytracing and "Rage Mode", a new 1-click method for overclocking.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Have you looked at perf/watt numbers for RDNA2 ? In Michael's tests as well as Windows tests the latest generation is at or near the top in terms of power/perf:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...00-linux&num=1 (near the end)

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...800-xt/36.html
          Honestly I think the real reason to buy Intel GPUs will be hardware virtualization support.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
          X