Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mattia.b89
    replied
    Curiously, I switched to modesetting just because the tearing issue: on my Broadwell (i5-5200u) laptop (Arch+ x11 GNOME) the situation was horrible, and modesetting fixed it.

NB: I know, things are complex and different on each hardware and software combination, in fact I noticed tearing only on fullscreen (i.e. here https://youtu.be/32zW2hTYm74?t=400)

Leave a comment:

• Leeo97one
    replied
    Originally posted by V1tol View Post
    Why modesetting does not have TearFree option? I would like to disable horrible VSync implementation in KWin. That works for Nvidia with its PRIME, but for notebook that's not an option when working from battery.
    Probably because tearing is supposed to be solved by the compositor and not by Xorg itself.

Leave a comment:

• Shiba
    replied
    I didn't even know there was another driver for Intel...

Leave a comment:

• V1tol
    replied
    Originally posted by atbjyk View Post

You use PRIME output sink ?, if use PRIME render offload and modesetting driver on igpu, you can use present extention in dri3.
    I use xfce(xfwm) and composite backend set to xpresent works good.
    might "present extention" has fixed at xrog-server 1.20.9~10 so recommend to use newest.
    I'm using reverse PRIME when notebook is on power (everything is running on Nvidia, iGPU only draws the picture) and I can disable Vsync in this case. And it seems KWin does not support xpresent, I found only Trello card about it dating 2014. So to use notebook with iGPU comfortably I have to use kwin-lowlatency. And I cannot use video-intel because it is bugging with games.

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    I did use xf86-video-intel until recently, I noticed that opening certain game (Half Life Lost Coast for example) caused the whole of X to fall over

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/...l/-/issues/204

A commit was added which was different to the one I tested, but ended up not fixing the issue

So using xf86-video-modesetting until it's sorted

Leave a comment:

• Gusar
    replied
    I too still use xf86-video-intel on my Intel systems (Haswell, Baytrail, Apollo Lake, Coffee Lake). It works great with TearFree, so I haven't had any reason to switch away.

Leave a comment:

• esbeeb
    replied
    I've got a laptop with Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake, Gen9), and Ubuntu 20.04, so this update would potentially apply to me (and I've observed lots of annoying tearing).

I see that for the package "xserver-xorg-video-intel" (which didn't get installed by default), the current version available to apt is 2:2.99.917+git20200226-1. When I go into the GUI for "Software & Updates", under the "Additional Drivers" tab, there are "No additional drivers available" when it checks.

Just saying.

Leave a comment:

• patrakov
    replied
    I am still using xf86-video-intel on my Haswell desktop, because otherwise screensharing in Chromium, as well as x11vnc, has a lot of glitches like randomly showing my wallpaper instead of the actual screen contents. The desktop environment is Cinnamon.

Leave a comment:

• Aryma
    replied
    what i will lose if keep using modesetting driver when im in x11 instead of intel driver ?

and what wayland use ?

Leave a comment:

• atbjyk
    replied
    Originally posted by V1tol View Post
    Why modesetting does not have TearFree option? I would like to disable horrible VSync implementation in KWin. That works for Nvidia with its PRIME, but for notebook that's not an option when working from battery.
    You use PRIME output sink ?, if use PRIME render offload and modesetting driver on igpu, you can use present extention in dri3.
    I use xfce(xfwm) and composite backend set to xpresent works good.
    might "present extention" has fixed at xrog-server 1.20.9~10 so recommend to use newest.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X