No announcement yet.

The xf86-video-intel Zombie Driver Finally Flips On TearFree To Avoid Tearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The xf86-video-intel Zombie Driver Finally Flips On TearFree To Avoid Tearing

Phoronix: The xf86-video-intel Zombie Driver Finally Flips On TearFree To Avoid Tearing

It's been seven years since Intel last provided a stable release of their "xf86-video-intel" X.Org driver and nearly six years to the day since they even provided their last development snapshot of what was to be xf86-video-intel 3.0. But there still are the occasional commits to this Intel DDX driver such as this week enabling the "TearFree" functionality by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why modesetting does not have TearFree option? I would like to disable horrible VSync implementation in KWin. That works for Nvidia with its PRIME, but for notebook that's not an option when working from battery.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
      Why modesetting does not have TearFree option? I would like to disable horrible VSync implementation in KWin. That works for Nvidia with its PRIME, but for notebook that's not an option when working from battery.
      no ideia, but its a good point of view

Comment

I'm still using xf86-video-intel because X11 is lagging and showing black frames around windows, when you move windows around on GNOME. That is not an issue with modesetting on Wayland, there is everything fine. But Currently most software cannot share your screen on Wayland (only Chromium with a workaround).

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
          You use PRIME output sink ?, if use PRIME render offload and modesetting driver on igpu, you can use present extention in dri3.
          I use xfce(xfwm) and composite backend set to xpresent works good.
          might "present extention" has fixed at xrog-server 1.20.9~10 so recommend to use newest.

Comment

what i will lose if keep using modesetting driver when im in x11 instead of intel driver ?

and what wayland use ?

Comment

I am still using xf86-video-intel on my Haswell desktop, because otherwise screensharing in Chromium, as well as x11vnc, has a lot of glitches like randomly showing my wallpaper instead of the actual screen contents. The desktop environment is Cinnamon.

Comment

I've got a laptop with Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake, Gen9), and Ubuntu 20.04, so this update would potentially apply to me (and I've observed lots of annoying tearing).

I see that for the package "xserver-xorg-video-intel" (which didn't get installed by default), the current version available to apt is 2:2.99.917+git20200226-1. When I go into the GUI for "Software & Updates", under the "Additional Drivers" tab, there are "No additional drivers available" when it checks.

Just saying.

Comment

I too still use xf86-video-intel on my Intel systems (Haswell, Baytrail, Apollo Lake, Coffee Lake). It works great with TearFree, so I haven't had any reason to switch away.

Comment

I did use xf86-video-intel until recently, I noticed that opening certain game (Half Life Lost Coast for example) caused the whole of X to fall over

A commit was added which was different to the one I tested, but ended up not fixing the issue

So using xf86-video-modesetting until it's sorted

Comment

Working...
                    X