Intel Preparing Linux Support For The "Protected Xe Path" PXP Functionality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Preparing Linux Support For The "Protected Xe Path" PXP Functionality

Phoronix: Intel Preparing Linux Support For The "Protected Xe Path" PXP Functionality

Intel's open-source Linux graphics driver developers have begun preparing support for a new feature previously not talked about publicly: Intel PXP or the "Protected Xe Path"...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

DRM? No, thanks....

Can I just watch a movie without being put through a thousand hoops? Isn't DRM breakable anyway?

What about you call this "Restricted Xe Path" and "Secret Execution Environment"? What's so "trusted"? What a lie!

Comment

This seems more related to security for servers rendering multiple game streams for users, not DRM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        DRM? No, thanks....

Can I just watch a movie without being put through a thousand hoops? Isn't DRM breakable anyway?

What about you call this "Restricted Xe Path" and "Secret Execution Environment"? What's so "trusted"? What a lie!
        Trusted by the people that want DRM (i.e the stinking rich media publishing and distribution companies). Not by anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
          This seems more related to security for servers rendering multiple game streams for users, not DRM.
          That doesn't need hardware backed security, nor is it going to prevent cloud game streaming software from messing up and sending the wrong stream to the wrong person. It's obvious this is purely about DRM.

Comment

What I would like to see with DRM is proper consideration of copyright law: which is to say, how copyrighted media become available in the public domain once the copyright has expired. DRM is indefinite/infinite: current encryption methods are not time-linked such that encryption 'falls away' at copyright expiry. At the very least, I would expect anything that is protected by DRM to enforce copyright restrictions to be escrowed so that a non-DRMed copy is available at expiry. I would see that as a non-negotiable requirement for copyright protection.
            The GPL and FLOSS depends on well functioning copyright law. The lack of provision for access at copyright expires strike me as a big flaw that needs resolving so future generations can benefit from currently copyrighted materials. The cost of maintaining escrowed DRM-free copies should naturally fall on the people benefiting from copyright.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
              The GPL and FLOSS depends on well functioning copyright law. The lack of provision for access at copyright expires strike me as a big flaw that needs resolving so future generations can benefit from currently copyrighted materials. The cost of maintaining escrowed DRM-free copies should naturally fall on the people benefiting from copyright.
              Technically, though, every copy ever produced is DRM-free as DRM is broken and does not work. I don't think the copyright law should mandate that all "expired content" must be released as public domain; that's just ridiculous and impossible. Instead copyright law should allow re-production of said content even if original copies are DRM'd, as under most jurisdictions cracking the DRM protections is illegal.

Comment

Instead of improving graphics and compute performance, not to mention fixing the driver bugs, Intel is busy working on copy-protection for exceedingly rich media-publishing corporations

Comment

Working...
                X