Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Xe Graphics' Incredible Performance Uplift From OpenCL To oneAPI Level Zero To Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOLY...MOTHER OF PEARL JAM !!

Well the days of calling Intel's GPUs shite are over it seems. But, funnily enough, Intel has AMD to thank for this massive uplift in GPU performance.

For in November of 2017 Intel poached AMD's head of the Radeon Technologies Group, Raja Koduri. Koduri oversaw the design and rollout of Vega and Navi for AMD. Koduri is now head of Core and Visual Computing Group at Intel.

On top of that not long after Koduri onboarded at Intel, Intel announced they had poached ANOTHER AMD GPU executive. Ali Ibrahim. Ibrahim was a Senior Fellow at AMD who headed up AMD's cloud and Xbox efforts.

AAAnnnnd on top of that Intel has hired ex AMD executive Masooma Bhaiwala who was Corporate Vice President of AMD's custom SoC business ( think as examples, PS4/PS5 and Xbone ) and she was for 14 years at AMD the Senior Director of Design Engineering.

AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaand......Intel got CPU guru Jim Keller, Mark Hirsch, Balaji Kanigicherla, and Joseph Facca .....ALL FROM AMD.

So yeah....Intel's got a snappy new iGPU and next year will have a snappier discrete GPU. No wonder....BECAUSE THEY HAVE HALF OF AMD'S GPU ENGINEERS !!!

Comment

Convincing, especially when thinking of moving away from AMD...

(in the graphics card side, of course)

Comment

But it's not all bad news from AMD's GPU engineering poaching by Intel debacle. Seems that the Su's CPU engineering team is kicking all kinds of ass. This is just now breaking.

AMD's $299 5600X Spotted Flying Past All Intel CPUs in Single-Threaded Performance

Today, AMD's Ryzen 5 5600X was listed in the single-threaded PassMark CPU performance charts (via VideoCardz), and it's found all the way at the top, above even Intel's Core i9-10900K -- by quite a significant margin. As these are unverified benchmarks take this information with a pinch of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
          iGPU with 1.7 TFLOPS !
          Mobile iGPU, AFAIR AMD's desktop APU reach 1.84 TFLOPS

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
            But it's not all bad news from AMD's GPU engineering poaching by Intel debacle. Seems that the Su's CPU engineering team is kicking all kinds of ass. This is just now breaking.

AMD's $299 5600X Spotted Flying Past All Intel CPUs in Single-Threaded Performance

Today, AMD's Ryzen 5 5600X was listed in the single-threaded PassMark CPU performance charts (via VideoCardz), and it's found all the way at the top, above even Intel's Core i9-10900K -- by quite a significant margin. As these are unverified benchmarks take this information with a pinch of salt.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...k-singlethread
            wow solid improvement 3600XT is araound 2800 points and the spiritual sucessor 5600 with 3400 points ...that is a solid improvemnt

Comment

I'd be interested in seeing how well Intel is doing on the transcoding front for things like Plex, Emby, and Jellyfin. Historically if you are running a media server Nvidia is your only serious choice, followed by Intel for "smaller" servers. It's a bit odd when an Intel CPU can beat a dedicated AMD GPU in hardware transcoding operations in some cases.

I'd like to see how Intel and their generally more compute/server oriented mindset translates, and how it might present in their dedicated offerings. It would be real nice to consider an Intel card for a transcoding workload with open drivers if the cards can process several streams. Nvidia driver lockdown just kills me inside, and I don't want to give them my $$$'s for their "high end" cards when their consumer cards are - hardware-wise - fully capable.
              Last edited by Kver; 23 October 2020, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                Well the days of calling Intel's GPUs shite are over it seems.
                There were typically adequate "business" GPUs, which was their primary target (as long as excel rendered, it was good enough).

But, funnily enough, Intel has AMD to thank for this massive uplift in GPU performance.
                Actually, I think you can thank nvidia, who worked to show GPUs and their approaches were useful in the HPC/data science markets (and you could make a lot of money there), and Intel wanted to have an offering there. Poaching existing top talent to accelerate the initial offering is nothing new in the valley and that Intel found a good fit for their goals with their hiring of people who had been working at AMD is as much a reflection of how important the GPU offering was to Intel and that AMD staff were willing to take the money to do something new and different, rather than there were not other options available (although most likely agree that it likely would have taken longer if they had not acquired a few of the top people).
                Last edited by CommunityMember; 23 October 2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I expect much more 5 years of development and nothing special. comparing the old intel gpu who is the same for last years I expect much more but ok, at least make some pressure in amd side but I can't see how intel can make difference with this ulv 4cores against apu with 6 and 8 cores with navi igpu

Comment

Impressive results, too bad they're still stuck with the aging CPU architecture. This bodes very well for their dGPUs. Good thing I'm not in a rush to get a new one, I just wish Intel would tell us more about what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      Impressive results, too bad they're still stuck with the aging CPU architecture. This bodes very well for their dGPUs. Good thing I'm not in a rush to get a new one, I just wish Intel would tell us more about what to expect.
                      Ahem, this is a Tiger Lake CPU you're looking at.

Comment

Working...
                      X