How Intel's Clear Linux Is Competing Against Late-2020 Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Intel's Clear Linux Is Competing Against Late-2020 Linux Distributions

Phoronix: How Intel's Clear Linux Is Competing Against Late-2020 Linux Distributions

As it's been a while since running a fresh Linux distribution comparison with Intel's Clear Linux platform and given all the autumn distribution updates inbound, here is a fresh look at the rolling-release Clear Linux up against a snapshot of Ubuntu 20.10, Fedora Workstation 33 Beta, openSUSE Tumbleweed 20200929, Arch-based Endeavour OS, and Debian Testing from the start of October.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fedora Workstation 33 and openSUSE Tumbleweed with their default Btrfs usage led to slower results for SQLite out-of-the-box
    Probably should read 'Lack of proper CoW setup by the PTS led to slower results ...'.

Also, the sqlite3 benchmark is quite pointless, it only does INSERTs, but never tests any queries. The same is true for the MariaDB "benchmark" btw. Go figure ...

Comment

I'm surprised to see Endeavour OS not doing so well in comparison, being Arch based I don't know what they do differently (if anything at all). On the other hand, it may make sense since most of the packages are as "vanilla" as possible left at default from upstream development, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

That being said, I can hardly see Arch (Arch based) being used in many production machines, and most "users" do not choose OS purely on performance basis, so it makes sense.

Comment

Was the radial summary crowded?

Comment

Originally posted by StefanBruens View Post

Probably should read 'Lack of proper CoW setup by the PTS led to slower results ...'.

Also, the sqlite3 benchmark is quite pointless, it only does INSERTs, but never tests any queries. The same is true for the MariaDB "benchmark" btw. Go figure ...
          You know PTS is totally FOSS, so go for it and make the needed mods and submit them.

Comment

As usual Debian Testing is faring very well (not so good for it's children).

Comment

What i have learned from clear is that there are many things more important than performance.

Still miss gentoo though. But because of emerge and its use flags.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
                What i have learned from clear is that there are many things more important than performance.

Still miss gentoo though. But because of emerge and its use flags.
                I always love the idea of Gentoo - and the first few weeks of using it again (after a couple of days getting used to building everything from source) is a delight - but ease of use (and, if I'm honest, a combination of how busy/lazy I am) normally makes me end up going back to a distro where updates are a little more fire 'n' forget.

Clear falls at the first hurdle for me, largely because I just can't get on with Gnome Shell. I should put some effort into sorting out a Cinnamon build for it... but that will fight with more important things for time, so probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                  but ease of use (and, if I'm honest, a combination of how busy/lazy I am) normally makes me end up going back to a distro where updates are a little more fire 'n' forget.
                  i left gentoo for exact this reason a few years ago.

but...well... i am on arch btw. arch is very user friendly when you are used to gentoo xD

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

You know PTS is totally FOSS, so go for it and make the needed mods and submit them.
                    I will instead keep contributing to the dozen projects I am already involved in - kernel, u-boot, openSUSE (openQA and several packages), KDE, ...

I have no problem with PTS having bugs, only with selling wrong results as objective truth and shedding a bad light on the objects of investigation. Everyone should be (made) aware of the often lacking quality of PTS benchmarks.

Comment

Working...
                    X