No announcement yet.

Intel Adds Vulkan Transform Feedback For Aging Haswell Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But at this stage you'd be better off upgrading to a newer CPU with much more capable graphics or even picking up a budget discrete GPU.
    As they say in Russian - if my grandmother had balls she'd be a grandfather.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      Why no one did bisect for four months? I see you guys found workaround (that also cause higher power consumption) and happy about it, but bug is still there and it's still not fixed. What are you going to do, compile your own kernel for years, and the hope that someone else will fill bugreport for you?

I understand that doing bisect is such a chore, but if owners of affected hardware is not interested in finding root cause and filling bugreport, I am afraid no one interested.
      I'm with you 100%, though I serve as a bad example myself. Personally, I haven't even participated in that Arch thread. I use my Haswell system so little nowadays, I just haven't been bothered to investigate any further, and have simply kept an older kernel around.

I would like to bisect the kernel to find the commit that introduced this regression... when I manage to find an amount of time that would let me concentrate on the issue without interruptions (e.g. a weekend without chores/other obligations).
      I'm perfectly aware this will not get fixed automagically by a saint, in fact I don't usually complain about this.

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      Oh, yeah, you could also ping System76 tech. support, is anyone at least sent them e-mail about this? My guess the answer is "no" - why so?
      My W740SU isn't from System76. I'm sure the company I bought it from couldn't care less about investigating this issue, since any kind of warranty/support has now expired. Plus, they wouldn't be competent enough to know what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
        My "Ageing Haswell" laptop has served me well for 6 years. The built in battery has lost 25% of its capacity, so it is on a timer ...
        Writing this on my Haswell laptop. I'm on my second battery now and I think I'll keep this laptop for two or three years more until this battery has also lost its edge. I'll probably go for an 8-core ultrabook of similar power envelope then. The battery in this machine is internal but since the bottom comes off easily with a screwdriver it's still easy enough to replace.

Also my thanks to Mesa developers for this work! I'm probably not using it very much though as I tend to game on other systems than this. Most graphically intensive games are not that great on i5-4200U

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
          As someone with 2 computers running Haswell generation Intel Processors, I'm very thankful for this support.

I have no plans to get updated hardware for a good while yet, mainly because once I do I'll have to replace most of the components in these systems (updated cpu requires updated mobo, ram, case, power supply, etc). I'll basically be replacing everything but the gfx and the storage at minimum. That probably won't be until one or more of those components bites the dust.

Hopefully the next system(s) I get (whenever I get them) will last as long as these have.
          There should be no reason an upgrade should require a new case and power supply. In fact, at work, we had an old HP tower (i5 2nd-gen era) that was having some issues. Instead of just buying a new tower, I got a B450 board, a Ryzen 3100, some DDR4 RAM, and an old GT 730 we had lying around (since no iGPU on the 3100). It was actually quite a plug-and-play operation, just a matter of pulling the old board out and sticking the new one in. It still has the original case, power supply, HDD, and even DVD drive, just upgraded CPU/Mobo/RAM. In fact, if you looked at the system, you'd never even know it was upgraded unless you noticed that the Core i5 sticker on the front is replaced with a Ryzen 3 sticker.

Comment

I'm 'ageing'! Replace me!
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
              I'm 'ageing'! Replace me!
              As asked, I am replacing you stiiixy. ;-)

By the way, save the nature and keep hardware that serves well serving well.
              Once it does not serve well your needs, your advice follows.

Comment

When I can get back home(bushfires, COVIDs and broken legs, oh my!), I plan on tinkering incessantly with my P3-1200. Managed to sort of fit it in an old IBM NetVista case. I really miss the old IBM hardware.

I would have loved to have benchmarked it on Phoronix, but 32 bit has been canned on most distro's, I think.
                Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                  When I can get back home(bushfires, COVIDs and broken legs, oh my!), I plan on tinkering incessantly with my P3-1200. Managed to sort of fit it in an old IBM NetVista case. I really miss the old IBM hardware.

I would have loved to have benchmarked it on Phoronix, but 32 bit has been canned on most distro's, I think.
                  That sucks. Hopefully things get better.

Comment

Shit happens, mate. A lot worse going round for other's. Worst part for me, is I had just bought my land, and can't get at it 😃 Want to tiinkerrrr.
                    Hi

Comment

how about ivy bridge ? (hd 4000)

Comment

Working...
                      X