No announcement yet.

Intel Media Driver 2020.3 Released With Gen12 AV1 Decode, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Media Driver 2020.3 Released With Gen12 AV1 Decode, Other Improvements

Phoronix: Intel Media Driver 2020.3 Released With Gen12 AV1 Decode, Other Improvements

Just in time for the end of the quarter Intel's open-source multimedia team has released the Media Driver 2020.3 package for the Intel graphics accelerated media encode/decode component on Linux platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great to see AV1 support! I hope they will find some solution to ship this in the fedora repos, maybe without encoder parts or so - currently it requires rpmfusion and can thus not be shipped preinstalled :/

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
      Great to see AV1 support! I hope they will find some solution to ship this in the fedora repos, maybe without encoder parts or so - currently it requires rpmfusion and can thus not be shipped preinstalled :/
      As the AV1 decode support is built into the drivers and AV1 is an open codec I don't see any reason for this to not drop into all of the Redhat OS's. What you are going to run to view AV1 content on Fedora or any other distro is another question all together. Firefox has AV1 decode but I don't remember if it supports hardware decode. If you want to use a dedicated movie player or some thing like MythTV/Kodi then ya you are back into rpmfusion.

Still a good move. I wish it supported 4:2:2 rather than just 4:2:0 but seeing who the main backers of AV1 are that isn't that surprising.

On another point does any one that buys a laptop with Linux installed stick with that installation or do they all wipe it and do their own install? Given the choice I will give my money to to a Linux distro over say Windows but that doesn't mean I am sticking with it.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

As the AV1 decode support is built into the drivers and AV1 is an open codec I don't see any reason for this to not drop into all of the Redhat OS's. What you are going to run to view AV1 content on Fedora or any other distro is another question all together. Firefox has AV1 decode but I don't remember if it supports hardware decode. ...
        AFAIK FF allows ffmpeg usage for all supported codecs now (certainly vp8, vp9 and h246, about h265 I'm not sure) - and in case that does not yet apply to AV1, I don't think it will be much of a deal to do so - biggest problem will likely be that the devs don't yet have the hardware in order to test

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

AFAIK FF allows ffmpeg usage for all supported codecs now (certainly vp8, vp9 and h246, about h265 I'm not sure) - and in case that does not yet apply to AV1, I don't think it will be much of a deal to do so - biggest problem will likely be that the devs don't yet have the hardware in order to test
          I believe you are correct in all that. But requiring ffmpeg on Fedora means going to rpmfusion which was the concern of the poster I was responding to.

Comment

Working...
          X