X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheLexMachine
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    That doesn't make it automagically work with HDMI. I read that such converters break VRR.
    The older DP-HDMI conversion chips don't support VRR because it was not part of the HDMI standard at the time and in the case of Intel, VRR is not supported at all in older GPUs, while AMD APUs have had it for some time. VRR has always been an optional feature and not been a requested one for hardware support until very recently, with the arrival of low-cost VRR panels that offer Full HD/Quad HD resolution with lower refresh rates than their higher-costing gaming oriented competitors.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by numacross View Post

CEC I understand, but I haven't seen anything that actually uses Ethernet nor have I seen a GPU that's able to use it yet. Do you have any examples?

Another thing is that HDMI ports require royalty payments while DP do not, so making GPUs with more HDMI would make them potentially more expensive for very little benefit.
    Unless things have changed drastically, note that the following is from 2014, it shouldn't add that much of a cost to a GPU. With AMD, Intel, or Nvidia we're probably talking about the $10k/year that they're already paying and .04 cents per port. Personally, I don't mind paying the extra...pulling numbers from you know where...$1 per port for more HDMI ports since we're talking four cents in royalty fees and some chump change in materials and manufacturing costs. Worst case scenario -- it'll be a low-volume GPU and we'll have to pay $1 + $1 per port.

I'm not sure if advertised Linux support and Linux's less than stellar HDCP support effects HDMI royalty pricing. Either way, we're talking about four cents versus five cents pricing difference that's passed onto the customer. 1 measly penny.

Now that we understand the term HDMI Adopter, let’s review the fees associated with being an Adopter, namely annual fees and royalty fees. There are 2 annual fee structures:
    • High-volume (more than 10,000 units) HDMI Adopter Agreement - $10k/year.
    • Low-volume (10,000 units or less) HDMI Adopter Agreement - $5k/year + flat $1/unit administration fee.
    The annual fee is due upon the execution of the Adopter Agreement, and must be paid on the anniversary of this date each year thereafter.
    The royalty fee structure is the same for all volumes. The following variable per-unit royalty is device-based and not dependent on number of ports, chips or connectors:
    • US$0.15 for each end-user licensed product.
    • US$0.05 – If the HDMI logo is used on the product and promotional material, the per-unit fee drops from US$0.15 to US$0.05. Use of HDMI logo requires compliance testing.
    • US$0.04 – If HDCP is implemented and HDMI logo is used, the per-unit fee drops further from US$0.05 to US$0.04.
    HDMI royalty fees aren't really that bad. DVD royalties costs more. Bluray is even worse.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
    Yup. It is part of the DP.
    That doesn't make it automagically work with HDMI. I read that such converters break VRR.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied

There are DP to HDMI 2.1 adapters like this one.
    Wow, capable of 4K @ 120 Hz + HDR ?

Exactly what I wanted from a good dapter.

Thank you very much!

The only thing missing as I see now it will be Freesync -> VRR on the TV.

I double the adapter would be capable of doing also that.

Leave a comment:

• TheLexMachine
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I'm thinking that the smart TV have an ethernet port to get internet, but is kinda extra mess when the TV is already connected to the computer and the computer has internet already through whatever method, maybe even one that is not directly compatible with the TV like USB modems.

Not only that, but I guess you can even make a filter or something to clean the internet a bit of ads or to block privacy invading features like voice recording and uploading home.

I know that unfortunately HDMI requires royalties compared to DP, but I'm the one who is paying a lot of money for a high-end GPU

Why should I be forced in that case to pay again some extra money for an DP-> HDMI adapter that solves the problem of connecting to my TV only partially ?
    Last time I checked there is no DP->HDMI 2.1 adapter available and all lose bandwidth or functionality because of that.
    HDMI Ethernet never worked. Silicon Image, the company behind most of the HDMI 1.X stuff, had a chipset prepped, but it never made it to market. The software and hardware simply never came together and could not be worked into any products, but we still have HDMI Ethernet on all HDMI cables, which can be repurposed for other uses.

The reason for the DP to HDMI converter is because Intel has to come up with their own HDMI implementation on their GPUs before they can ditch it. This will be done on their low-end products, where DP is not needed, before it ever comes to the higher-end ones.

Leave a comment:

• TheLexMachine
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    Does VRR still work?
    Yup. It is part of the DP.

Leave a comment:

• numacross
    replied
    I'm thinking that the smart TV have an ethernet port to get internet, but is kinda extra mess when the TV is already connected to the computer and the computer has internet already through whatever method, maybe even one that is not directly compatible with the TV like USB modems.

Not only that, but I guess you can even make a filter or something to clean the internet a bit of ads or to block privacy invading features like voice recording and uploading home.
    As I wrote before, I don't know of any GPU that allows you to utilize the HDMI Ethernet capability. Nor have I had experience with a TV that allows it.

I know that unfortunately HDMI requires royalties compared to DP, but I'm the one who is paying a lot of money for a high-end GPU

Why should I be forced in that case to pay again some extra money for an DP-> HDMI adapter that solves the problem of connecting to my TV only partially ?
    Last time I checked there is no DP->HDMI 2.1 adapter available and all lose bandwidth or functionality because of that.
    Well... blame HDMI for being proprietary and HDMI LLC for having licensing fees

There are DP to HDMI 2.1 adapters like this one.

Leave a comment:

• DRanged
    replied
    I just wish some powerful GPUs like the ones from AMD would just 2 HDMI 2.1 ports and stop this converter madness where you lose bandwidth or good HDMI features like Ethernet or CEC commands support.
    Asus and Gigabyte have cards with 2x or even 3x HDMI 2.1 ports.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied

CEC I understand, but I haven't seen anything that actually uses Ethernet nor have I seen a GPU that's able to use it yet. Do you have any examples?

Another thing is that HDMI ports require royalty payments while DP do not, so making GPUs with more HDMI would make them potentially more expensive for very little benefit.

Last edited by Danny3; 27 September 2020, 11:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Does VRR still work?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X