Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
    Yup. It is part of the DP.
    That doesn't make it automagically work with HDMI. I read that such converters break VRR.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

CEC I understand, but I haven't seen anything that actually uses Ethernet nor have I seen a GPU that's able to use it yet. Do you have any examples?

Another thing is that HDMI ports require royalty payments while DP do not, so making GPUs with more HDMI would make them potentially more expensive for very little benefit.
      Unless things have changed drastically, note that the following is from 2014, it shouldn't add that much of a cost to a GPU. With AMD, Intel, or Nvidia we're probably talking about the $10k/year that they're already paying and .04 cents per port. Personally, I don't mind paying the extra...pulling numbers from you know where...$1 per port for more HDMI ports since we're talking four cents in royalty fees and some chump change in materials and manufacturing costs. Worst case scenario -- it'll be a low-volume GPU and we'll have to pay $1 + $1 per port.

I'm not sure if advertised Linux support and Linux's less than stellar HDCP support effects HDMI royalty pricing. Either way, we're talking about four cents versus five cents pricing difference that's passed onto the customer. 1 measly penny.

Now that we understand the term HDMI Adopter, let’s review the fees associated with being an Adopter, namely annual fees and royalty fees. There are 2 annual fee structures:
      • High-volume (more than 10,000 units) HDMI Adopter Agreement - $10k/year.
      • Low-volume (10,000 units or less) HDMI Adopter Agreement - $5k/year + flat $1/unit administration fee.
      The annual fee is due upon the execution of the Adopter Agreement, and must be paid on the anniversary of this date each year thereafter.
      The royalty fee structure is the same for all volumes. The following variable per-unit royalty is device-based and not dependent on number of ports, chips or connectors:
      • US$0.15 for each end-user licensed product.
      • US$0.05 – If the HDMI logo is used on the product and promotional material, the per-unit fee drops from US$0.15 to US$0.05. Use of HDMI logo requires compliance testing.
      • US$0.04 – If HDCP is implemented and HDMI logo is used, the per-unit fee drops further from US$0.05 to US$0.04.
      HDMI royalty fees aren't really that bad. DVD royalties costs more. Bluray is even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        That doesn't make it automagically work with HDMI. I read that such converters break VRR.
        The older DP-HDMI conversion chips don't support VRR because it was not part of the HDMI standard at the time and in the case of Intel, VRR is not supported at all in older GPUs, while AMD APUs have had it for some time. VRR has always been an optional feature and not been a requested one for hardware support until very recently, with the arrival of low-cost VRR panels that offer Full HD/Quad HD resolution with lower refresh rates than their higher-costing gaming oriented competitors.

Comment

Working...
        X