Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DP-HDMI2.1 Protocol Converter Support Being Tackled For Intel Linux Graphics

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DP-HDMI2.1 Protocol Converter Support Being Tackled For Intel Linux Graphics

    Phoronix: DP-HDMI2.1 Protocol Converter Support Being Tackled For Intel Linux Graphics

    Patches sent out on Friday provide an initial DP-HDMI2.1 PCON implementation for the Intel Linux kernel graphics driver...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ON-Intel-Linux

  • #2
    I just wish some powerful GPUs like the ones from AMD would just 2 HDMI 2.1 ports and stop this converter madness where you lose bandwidth or good HDMI features like Ethernet or CEC commands support.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      I just wish some powerful GPUs like the ones from AMD would just 2 HDMI 2.1 ports and stop this converter madness where you lose bandwidth or good HDMI features like Ethernet or CEC commands support.
      CEC I understand, but I haven't seen anything that actually uses Ethernet nor have I seen a GPU that's able to use it yet. Do you have any examples?

      Another thing is that HDMI ports require royalty payments while DP do not, so making GPUs with more HDMI would make them potentially more expensive for very little benefit.

      Comment


      • #4
        Does VRR still work?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by numacross View Post

          CEC I understand, but I haven't seen anything that actually uses Ethernet nor have I seen a GPU that's able to use it yet. Do you have any examples?

          Another thing is that HDMI ports require royalty payments while DP do not, so making GPUs with more HDMI would make them potentially more expensive for very little benefit.
          I'm thinking that the smart TV have an ethernet port to get internet, but is kinda extra mess when the TV is already connected to the computer and the computer has internet already through whatever method, maybe even one that is not directly compatible with the TV like USB modems.

          Not only that, but I guess you can even make a filter or something to clean the internet a bit of ads or to block privacy invading features like voice recording and uploading home.

          I know that unfortunately HDMI requires royalties compared to DP, but I'm the one who is paying a lot of money for a high-end GPU

          Why should I be forced in that case to pay again some extra money for an DP-> HDMI adapter that solves the problem of connecting to my TV only partially ?
          Last time I checked there is no DP->HDMI 2.1 adapter available and all lose bandwidth or functionality because of that.
          Last edited by Danny3; 27 September 2020, 11:11 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            I just wish some powerful GPUs like the ones from AMD would just 2 HDMI 2.1 ports and stop this converter madness where you lose bandwidth or good HDMI features like Ethernet or CEC commands support.
            Asus and Gigabyte have cards with 2x or even 3x HDMI 2.1 ports.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              I'm thinking that the smart TV have an ethernet port to get internet, but is kinda extra mess when the TV is already connected to the computer and the computer has internet already through whatever method, maybe even one that is not directly compatible with the TV like USB modems.

              Not only that, but I guess you can even make a filter or something to clean the internet a bit of ads or to block privacy invading features like voice recording and uploading home.
              As I wrote before, I don't know of any GPU that allows you to utilize the HDMI Ethernet capability. Nor have I had experience with a TV that allows it.

              Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              I know that unfortunately HDMI requires royalties compared to DP, but I'm the one who is paying a lot of money for a high-end GPU

              Why should I be forced in that case to pay again some extra money for an DP-> HDMI adapter that solves the problem of connecting to my TV only partially ?
              Last time I checked there is no DP->HDMI 2.1 adapter available and all lose bandwidth or functionality because of that.
              Well... blame HDMI for being proprietary and HDMI LLC for having licensing fees

              There are DP to HDMI 2.1 adapters like this one.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                Does VRR still work?
                Yup. It is part of the DP.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

                  I'm thinking that the smart TV have an ethernet port to get internet, but is kinda extra mess when the TV is already connected to the computer and the computer has internet already through whatever method, maybe even one that is not directly compatible with the TV like USB modems.

                  Not only that, but I guess you can even make a filter or something to clean the internet a bit of ads or to block privacy invading features like voice recording and uploading home.

                  I know that unfortunately HDMI requires royalties compared to DP, but I'm the one who is paying a lot of money for a high-end GPU

                  Why should I be forced in that case to pay again some extra money for an DP-> HDMI adapter that solves the problem of connecting to my TV only partially ?
                  Last time I checked there is no DP->HDMI 2.1 adapter available and all lose bandwidth or functionality because of that.
                  HDMI Ethernet never worked. Silicon Image, the company behind most of the HDMI 1.X stuff, had a chipset prepped, but it never made it to market. The software and hardware simply never came together and could not be worked into any products, but we still have HDMI Ethernet on all HDMI cables, which can be repurposed for other uses.

                  The reason for the DP to HDMI converter is because Intel has to come up with their own HDMI implementation on their GPUs before they can ditch it. This will be done on their low-end products, where DP is not needed, before it ever comes to the higher-end ones.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by numacross View Post

                    There are DP to HDMI 2.1 adapters like this one.
                    Wow, capable of 4K @ 120 Hz + HDR ?

                    Exactly what I wanted from a good dapter.

                    Thank you very much!

                    The only thing missing as I see now it will be Freesync -> VRR on the TV.

                    I double the adapter would be capable of doing also that.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X