Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Submits More Graphics Driver Updates For Linux 5.10

Phoronix: Intel Submits More Graphics Driver Updates For Linux 5.10

Building off their earlier Intel graphics driver pull request of new material queuing ahead of the Linux 5.10 cycle, another round of updates were submitted on Friday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i wonder if Doom Eternal will finally run on Proton with an integrated gpu

Comment

Seems about every two weeks, a new Linux kernel "5.x" is released. Those on Debian-based systems can immediately & very quickly test these compiled kernels from the official web site, as usual. So we have Kernel 5.7.19rc, 5.8.7rc. Today right now, Kernel 5.9rc5 is available. Similar patterns might happen for 5.10, 5.11, 5.12, etc.
      This news release is about Intel display drivers being added to the source code released by The Linux Foundation. Nvidia (2012) & AMD are already involved. Of course Apple stays hostile with everything open source, both hardware & software. There are many smaller hardware creators that would like to be involved with open source products, perhaps.
      When the communist nations are not trying to overwhelm the non-communists, perhaps they might stop being narcissistic bullies, and help with our open source governance limits. This open source limit is our poor limits to cognitive science. When that science is better developed, it can one day become a technology. GNOME & others are still creating governance standards, where brand narcissists can learn about cognitive health. Graphics, now. Then tactiles, audio, parallelisms of many kinds, etc.
      Last edited by gregzeng; 19 September 2020, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
        This news release is about Intel display drivers being added to the source code released by The Linux Foundation. The very obvious missing elephants are AMD & Nvidia. When will they every dare trust open source?
        I can't speak for NVidia, but our (AMD) primary Linux graphics drivers have been upstream for years, and we have been contributing graphics driver code to upstream continuously since 2007.
        Last edited by bridgman; 19 September 2020, 04:26 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I can't speak for NVidia, but our (AMD) drivers have been upstream for years.
          Agreed. Researched this further. I've tried to update my entry. We need journalists to prepare proper press releases, complete with the necessary background material. If you recognize that AMD has poor press information kit for its journalists, then you could expect that lay people will be as misinformed as myself.

Generally the closed source people (Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Apple) are hostile to open source knowledge & participation. Wikipedia etc knows this. It is standard SNAFU, that "fake news" is also so loved by all closed source lovers. Governance is very bad, generally. Open source, including technical journalism, remains an enemy of the physical bullies. We are now wondering when the real ZFS & Unix lawyers will be harassing others, like they usually do.

Comment

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
            Agreed. Researched this further. I've tried to update my entry. We need journalists to prepare proper press releases, complete with the necessary background material. If you recognize that AMD has poor press information kit for its journalists, then you could expect that lay people will be as misinformed as myself.
            Here is our first press release about open source GPU drivers, back in 2007. I haven't gone through all 97 pages of press releases and counted, but I suspect we have somewhere between 40 and 50 press releases related to open source software.

https://ir.amd.com/news-events/press...raphics-driver

Our approach has changed since the initial press release, with much more focus on developing the drivers ourselves.

Our entire enterprise compute stack (ROCm) is open source, along with our entire consumer graphics stack. Our workstation graphics stack shares some userspace driver code with drivers for Windows and other OSes, and so we have had to keep those components closed source, but the rest of the workstation stack is oppen source as well.
            Last edited by bridgman; 19 September 2020, 05:38 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

This Greg look like some AI bot to generate random rant or he is on drugs, what a confusing text, doesn't reach any conclusions, seems like a ventilator that spins around infinitely but never goes anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I can't speak for NVidia, but our (AMD) primary Linux graphics drivers have been upstream for years, and we have been contributing graphics driver code to upstream continuously since 2007.
                If one reads open source news like Phoronix then it is obvious all that AMD has done and what needs to be done to have a nice experience; which is basically nothing these days* so when it works AMD and Intel provide a really nice OOTB experience.

If one doesn't read open source news or isn't a hardcore Linux geek then they'll go off of what AMD.com provides and that is a few Pro drivers for a handful of Linux systems. That's not a complaint. It's psychological; how most people are and how GPUs have almost always been -- buy a GPU and go to the AMD or Nvidia website and use the drivers provided on the supported systems. There's no mention of open source drivers on the page for my 580 for example, no attempt at educating the consumer so to speak, so I can understand why gregzeng has that confusion.

*the new GPU there be dragons asterisk and applies to every manufacturer

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  If one reads open source news like Phoronix then it is obvious all that AMD has done and what needs to be done to have a nice experience; which is basically nothing these days* so when it works AMD and Intel provide a really nice OOTB experience.

If one doesn't read open source news or isn't a hardcore Linux geek then they'll go off of what AMD.com provides and that is a few Pro drivers for a handful of Linux systems. That's not a complaint. It's psychological; how most people are and how GPUs have almost always been -- buy a GPU and go to the AMD or Nvidia website and use the drivers provided on the supported systems. There's no mention of open source drivers on the page for my 580 for example, no attempt at educating the consumer so to speak, so I can understand why gregzeng has that confusion.
                  Yep, fair point. I hadn't thought about mentioning the upstream drivers on the main product pages but that might be do-able. Even if we can't sell that it would be good to mention the upstream drivers on the packaged driver download page. Thanks !
                  Test signature

Comment

Working...
                  X