Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux vs. Windows Performance Will Be All The More Interesting With Intel's Hybrid x86 Architecture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux vs. Windows Performance Will Be All The More Interesting With Intel's Hybrid x86 Architecture

Phoronix: Linux vs. Windows Performance Will Be All The More Interesting With Intel's Hybrid x86 Architecture

With Intel's Lakefield and the future Alder Lake with their hybrid x86 architecture mixing of "little" and "big" cores, operating system optimizations become all the more important and thus will be interesting to see how the battle is between Windows and Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can we have honest numbers?

Is it actually 0% higher power efficiency?
    Is it 0% faster general performance?

Comment

I don't think Linux vs Windows will be a big deal on these new chips. Most businesses are in 1 camp or the other. Same with most consumers.
      I'd be interested in clock for click comparisons big vs little on the same software. How much does Out-of-order execution really matter? Especially as we go for more cores and fight security issues, Intel might be better off building giant Atom clusters to compete with Arm server products. OOO made a lot of sense when core counts are low but does running threads ooo really matter when cores are plentiful and there's no real contention.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
        How much does Out-of-order execution really matter? Especially as we go for more cores and fight security issues, Intel might be better off building giant Atom clusters to compete with Arm server products.
        Intel has Xeon Phi, and It's cancelled because few are interested.
        TbF such questions are extremely weird nowadays. All newer phone chips are OOO and anyone who has tried the old Atom would have noticed its performance is crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
          I don't think Linux vs Windows will be a big deal on these new chips. Most businesses are in 1 camp or the other. Same with most consumers.
          I'd be interested in clock for click comparisons big vs little on the same software. How much does Out-of-order execution really matter? Especially as we go for more cores and fight security issues, Intel might be better off building giant Atom clusters to compete with Arm server products. OOO made a lot of sense when core counts are low but does running threads ooo really matter when cores are plentiful and there's no real contention.
          Well all atoms since silvermont (2013) have been out of order and so have arm server cores, so it would be pretty wild for Intel to throw out OOOE without a suitable replacement to make up for the massive performance loss. Totally ignoring ILP and exclusively focusing on TLP (aka the flock of chickens strategy) isn't a winning approach for CPUs doing general purpose computing.

Comment

Ah, I didn't realize they moved it all to ooe.

Comment

I’ve never understood why you would need more than one little core, to run when the computer is idle and wake up the big cores when computing is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by fazalmajid View Post
                I’ve never understood why you would need more than one little core, to run when the computer is idle and wake up the big cores when computing is needed.
                Ideally you would run all background processes on the little core(s) for efficiency, but Windows often runs like hot garbage even on dual-core Broadwell without hyperthreading, and those are 'big' cores. Either they need more than two crap Atom cores or those processes are going to spill onto the big cores. Or the machine can just tank for 30 seconds plus while Microsoft runs their idiot telemetry and the user can go fish during that time.

Comment

"Due to not having any access to it and the severe budget constraints operating under at Phoronix due to continued ad-block users and COVID-19 impact, ... "
                  Glad you noticed that the very serious users of the internet have their financial budgets under tight control. Hence the denial of distractions (advertisements) to our very busy work schedules.
                  There are other ways of funding web sites.

Comment

It will be very interesting. Despite theoretical big.LITTLE advantage, in practice it's been a lot of sizzle and not much meat. Given the huge dynamic clock-rate that intel uses, it will be very interesting to see if they can get something better than 0% improvement or 0% power consumption. Because on ARM, that's about what we really got.

Comment

Working...
                    X