Intel Is Using IGC In Their Windows Drivers, Internal Prototype For Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Is Using IGC In Their Windows Drivers, Internal Prototype For Mesa

Phoronix: Intel Is Using IGC In Their Windows Drivers, Internal Prototype For Mesa

At Intel's Architecture Day this week the company was talking about work on their new Windows graphics driver that is being timed for Xe but supporting existing generations of hardware as well. One of the interesting takeaways was seeing the Windows driver is now using the open-source "IGC" back-end...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Link/version of this new (beta?) drivers package? Lastest (for Windows) is (beta) 8581 ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...?product=80939 )

Comment

It's pretty awesome when Linux is on the leading edge of a graphics technology for a change. I'm looking forward to having both an advanced GPU and an open source driver stack.

Comment

Benchmarks Benchmarks Benchmarks

Seriously, I would like to see benchmarks when Mesa is coupled with IGC.

Anything is better than LLVM if it can be done. Where's Valve?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Benchmarks Benchmarks Benchmarks

Seriously, I would like to see benchmarks when Mesa is coupled with IGC.

Anything is better than LLVM if it can be done. Where's Valve?
          As stated in the article IGC is based on LLVM.

It would be great to hear if they did some work on getting LLVM in better shape for GPUs though and if we see some of that work in upstream LLVM eventually.

Comment

I think it would be pretty rad to see somebody take a serious look at getting accelerated Mesa running on Windows. At this point it's hard to argue that there is any transparency cost, since both AMD and Intel publish drivers well in advance of product launches, and with Vulkan, workloads are becoming more similar between the platforms.

Comment

Sounds like a great idea to me. Why re-invent the wheel? Merge your assets and get a better result on all platforms.

Comment

Anything is better than LLVM if it can be done.
                Why? You know there is a reason that a lot of people use LLVM. Just because some developers at Valve don't like it doesn't mean it's not a good compiler infrastructure.
                Last edited by agd5f; 13 August 2020, 06:19 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

[QUOTE=agd5f;n1200497]
                  Anything is better than LLVM if it can be done./QUOTE]

Why? You know there is a reason that a lot of people use LLVM. Just because some developers at Valve don't like it doesn't mean it's not a good compiler infrastructure.
                  It's not a good online runtime compiler architecture, it's slow and horrible for runtime building for graphics shaders. This isn't just some developers at valve, there is lots of evidence in benchmarks.

Comment

rip my Haswell laptop :'(

Comment

Working...
                    X