Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's IWD Daemon Has Been Fleshing Out WiFi Display Support

Phoronix: Intel's IWD Daemon Has Been Fleshing Out WiFi Display Support

Intel's IWD wireless daemon for Linux systems has been seeing work in recent days on integration around WiFi Display support, a.k.a. WFD / Miracast...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Miraclecast is pretty alive https://github.com/albfan/miraclecast and works for both server and client (i.e. receive and send screen streams respectively)

Apart from that, my body is ready for iWD, maybe one day RH developers will add this wifi display functionality to NetworkManager

Comment

> Apart from that, my body is ready for iWD, maybe one day RH developers will add this wifi display functionality to NetworkManager

NetworkManager supports Wi-Fi peer to peer with wpa_supplicant, and that is what gnome-network-displays uses.

Comment

Originally posted by thom311 View Post
        > Apart from that, my body is ready for iWD, maybe one day RH developers will add this wifi display functionality to NetworkManager

NetworkManager supports Wi-Fi peer to peer with wpa_supplicant, and that is what gnome-network-displays uses.
        yeah but I want it with IWD as that's what I'm using as NM backend for other reasons.

Comment

I have a user at work that has a Windows 10 Dell laptop that wanted to be able to display onto an "off the shelf" big screen television in his office to share with people. I looked into Miracast, purchased the ~$50.00 Microsoft Miracast dongle that plugs both into the big screen television's USB port (for power) and HDMI port (for video signal), and it works great. Seriously pretty slick in my opinion.

Comment

On the note of the above, does anyone know how to get Apple to support Miracast? It would be slick for some of our conference rooms. Unfortunately, Apple loves their walled garden approach, and only supports AirPlay as best I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Miraclecast is pretty alive https://github.com/albfan/miraclecast and works for both server and client (i.e. receive and send screen streams respectively)

Apart from that, my body is ready for iWD, maybe one day RH developers will add this wifi display functionality to NetworkManager
              Terminator-like typing detected.

Comment

Why do I think of "Intel Wi-Fi Daemon" (AKA a daemon for just Intel-branded wireless chips) instead of "iNet wireless daemon" whenever I see IWD?...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Why do I think of "Intel Wi-Fi Daemon" (AKA a daemon for just Intel-branded wireless chips) instead of "iNet wireless daemon" whenever I see IWD?...
                  Because that's what they wanted you to think when they chose the name.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                    On the note of the above, does anyone know how to get Apple to support Miracast? It would be slick for some of our conference rooms. Unfortunately, Apple loves their walled garden approach, and only supports AirPlay as best I can tell.
                    the chinese miracast dongles usually support AirPlay as well
                    there are various open and less-open airplay server implementations around
                    See EzCast brand for example.

I cannot vouch for that working well or not because I never tested it, but they do claim to support it, and the miracast works fine on the same dongle.

Comment

Working...
                    X