Intel Gen12/Xe Graphics Have AV1 Accelerated Decode - Linux Support Lands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    If you mean it's a problem for content providers, yes, it is, but I don't care about that.
    As an end-user, I'll consume whatever is available, I suspect I'm not alone.

It's all in the spec, the only thing you need to do is see which settings work for you.

That's why I don;t think anyone balks at the patent cost after all. Free is better, but proprietary you can have today is better than open you can't.
    And who said you can't have open today? For both patent ridden and patent free codecs, implementations take time, and widespread availability takes time.

Patent ridden codecs and proprietary software aren't necessarily better or more easily available than patent free and open source codecs. It's just a matter of how much money you put into it.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

And who said you can't have open today? For both patent ridden and patent free codecs, implementations take time, and widespread availability takes time.

Patent ridden codecs and proprietary software aren't necessarily better or more easily available than patent free and open source codecs. It's just a matter of how much money you put into it.
      Well, h265 has been widespread for a while, AV1 is only taking off now...

I think that's a trend, because when you work behind close doors with 2 or 3 parties, you'll move faster than a similar open effort trying to appease many more parties, while dodging other patents. Of course, like you noted, it doesn't have to be that way.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        > patents are a problem too.
        If you mean it's a problem for content providers, yes
        It's a problem for software too!

As soon as you have an executable that implements a patent, you are legally bound to comply with the patent holders' demands. That is why distributing patent encumbered software in compiled form is problematic. If you compile (or copy a compilation of) x265, you are legally supposed to pay 0.1 USD to MPEG LA, 0.2 USD to HEVC Advance, and negotiate deals with Technicolor and all the other individual patent holders you're supposed to know about. Of course, no private person does that, which is just one way the patent system is broken.

Notice how it doesn't matter if the software is GPL or the standard is "open" (which has way too many definitions). Each patent stands on its own.

And for those who thought software patents were banned in Europe, they exist: https://www.hevcadvance.com/pdfnew/H...ist_052820.pdf
        Last edited by andreano; 15 July 2020, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
          It seems to me that AV1 repeats the mistakes of VP8/VP9, by not proving their standard with multiple software/hardware implementations before finalizing it (with conformance tests suites). See the sorry state of HW acceleration in Linux, with AVC/HEVC you can be pretty sure HW will adhere to standards and not randomly crash.

I mean I hope EVC succeeds, but why?

7 page of discussions, at least someone know something about codec design and industry.

Comment

Originally posted by samdraz View Post
            is this aisc based or gpu based decoder?

both are entirely different thing
            asic offers, decoding with powersaving
            gup offers decoding at thecost powersaving(though better than cpu)

Same question, I am reading it as GPU assisted decoding.

Comment

Working...
            X