Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It's not. All content providers will be all over lowered bit rates
    unless it is very useful for 1080p (and I doubt it), i really doubt it will see much use. I mean yeah they will add it to their infrastructure in some capacity but who is watching a 8k stream anyway, as even with better compression it's far too large for most internet infrastructure.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
      I mean I hope EVC succeeds, but why?
      as said above, it's inconvenient and the main use is huge media that is at odds with internet speeds. Yes they will pay lip service to it for a lucky few, but it's going to be 265 all over again.

With the added issue that 266 is unlikely to be adopted in a new and unlikely optical disk standard for movies or something.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        as said above, it's inconvenient and the main use is huge media that is at odds with internet speeds. Yes they will pay lip service to it for a lucky few, but it's going to be 265 all over again.
        You mean like Netflix? Yeah no one sends movies over the internet.
        (Pirates aswell, HEVC is pretty much standard now - I heard from a friend's bartender I barely know)

With the added issue that 266 is unlikely to be adopted in a new and unlikely optical disk standard for movies or something.
        Id guess that cameras will pick one format, and TVs will follow. Id further guess that this will be H266 or EVC, as HW for realtime encoding is a design criteria for those.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
          You mean like Netflix? Yeah no one sends movies over the internet.
          Please learn to fucking read, I didn't say that. I said that it's mostly useful for media that is BIG, while compressing 1080p won't see the same massive compression space savings.

(Pirates aswell, HEVC is pretty much standard now
          Only if you are into downloading and storing 10-15GB per movie. The 2-4GB version is always in 264 (and usually also 720p or something). For A LOT of movies it's really not worth the space and bandwith/time, which is why the h264 still exists for all movies.

Id guess that cameras will pick one format, and TVs will follow. Id further guess that this will be H266 or EVC, as HW for realtime encoding is a design criteria for those.
          Oh I have no doubt it will be H266, I'm just saying it will be mostly there for show while the media that actually needs it is rare.

Ah yes and of course the CCTV camera manufacturers will use it to claim massive size reduction or something like they did for h265 (where in practice it is an inflated number and I could do the same by tweaking a bit h264 encode settings in a system that isn't embedded bullshit and lets me do that).
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 10 July 2020, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Please learn to fucking read, I didn't say that. I said that it's mostly useful for media that is BIG, while compressing 1080p won't see the same massive compression space savings.
            From my own experience HEVC does save alot on bad quality footage (without me noticing a difference, even with some filters showing the difference), less on high quality.
            Or put differently, HEVC will still look good at lower bitrates than H264.
            At high bitrates the differences quickly vanish.

Only if you are into downloading and storing 10-15GB per movie. The 2-4GB version is always in 264 (and usually also 720p or something). For A LOT of movies it's really not worth the space and bandwith/time, which is why the h264 still exists for all movies.
            Not at all, do I need to get the bartender post links from my account ?

Oh I have no doubt it will be H266, I'm just saying it will be mostly there for show while the media that actually needs it is rare.
            I think you have the usecase reversed, the newer formats will allow lower bitrates for "ok" quality (the likes streaming services use).

Ah yes and of course the CCTV camera manufacturers will use it to claim massive size reduction or something like they did for h265 (where in practice it is an inflated number and I could do the same by tweaking a bit h264 encode settings in a system that isn't embedded bullshit and lets me do that).
            How long ago did you test this?
            The last two years H265 easily went past H264 in all regards, both from what my Huawei Phone can do (reencoded alot of my older stuff last year, tried both x264 and x265), and what tests report: https://www.compression.ru/video/cod...son/hevc_2019/

Comment

Originally posted by LoveRPi View Post

Zoom has it's own video decoder / encoder path by default.
              Skype has it's own video decoder / encoder path by default.
              Chrome is the only one that uses GPU decode acceleration only and it uses it's own video encode path.
              I mean, what do I know, I just work on the video pipeline of one of those softwares and reviewed the patches pertaining to HW acceleration...

Looks like you know my daily work better than I do! 🤯​​​

Comment

unless it is very useful for 1080p (and I doubt it), i really doubt it will see much use. I mean yeah they will add it to their infrastructure in some capacity but who is watching a 8k stream anyway, as even with better compression it's far too large for most internet infrastructure.
                What do you mean "very useful"? What is more useful for a content provider than being able to lower the bit rate without affecting quality, thus lowering their bills?
                I'm thinking here about Netflix or Amazon being able to stream 4k without crushing details into oblivion.

On the other hand, seeing how "widespread" AV1 is today, we don't need to worry about h266 for a while. It will all come down to a few years of Michael benchmarking improvements of h266 encoders.

Comment

On the other hand, seeing how "widespread" AV1 is today, we don't need to worry about h266 for a while. It will all come down to a few years of Michael benchmarking improvements of h266 encoders.
                  Quite the opposite! You need to worry about it (and the upcoming AV2) like yesterday. There is a huge latency between the time a new codec is standardized and the time it arrives in silicon and becomes usable by most low power devices. If you wait too long, you'll never be able to meet the market demand.

Comment

What do you mean "very useful"?
                    Does it compress 1080p significantly better? Because if it compresses better only if you have a large resolution then it's situational.

I'm thinking here about Netflix or Amazon being able to stream 4k without crushing details into oblivion.
                    even with better compression, a 4k stream is very heavy for most of the world's network infrastructure

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                      Isn't this part of AMD's eternal problem of having worse software (but good or better hw) than its competition?
                      Some things don't change in ~20 years (back when they were ATI). So yes, eternal problem indeed.

Comment

Working...
                      X