No announcement yet.

Intel Details Thunderbolt 4 With More Capabilities, USB4 Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now we can finally have eGPUs that aren't horribly bandwidth bottlenecked.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      looks like intel-branded usb4.
      everything optional in the usb4 spec is mandatory for tb4. this alone makes tb4 far superior to everything the USB-IF has released so far.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Same bandwidth as TB3 (40Gbps). You do the math
        It's not that easy: TB3 wasn't capable of dual 5K but there was discussion about baking compression into the standard to be able to squeeze it. Did it happen?
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

It's not that easy: TB3 wasn't capable of dual 5K but there was discussion about baking compression into the standard to be able to squeeze it. Did it happen?
          Apparently, no: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunde...#Thunderbolt_4
          Still says "dual 4k".

Comment

Until more USB ports talk Thunderbolt, I don't think we should care too much. Sweet as Thunderbolt may be.
            I give it at least 3 more years to reach mainstream.
            Huh?

Every one of my laptops going back to 2015 have Thunderbolt. It seems pretty mainstream.

Unless you're defining "mainstream" as "cheap."

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
              everything optional in the usb4 spec is mandatory for tb4. this alone makes tb4 far superior to everything the USB-IF has released so far.
              only for people who prefer to have no options. rest will be able to judge concrete implementations

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                i'm pretty sure tb3 doesn't drive monitors, it just tunnels displayport. so you have to refer to supported dp spec. there's dp 2.0 alt mode for usb 4

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

Huh?

Every one of my laptops going back to 2015 have Thunderbolt. It seems pretty mainstream.

Unless you're defining "mainstream" as "cheap."
                  No, no, no. I mean, everybody can afford $2k for a laptop and laptops is all there is, right?

Comment

No, no, no. I mean, everybody can afford $2k for a laptop and laptops is all there is, right?
                    Found a Lenovo T590 with Thunderbolt 3 for $799. I thought they'd be at least $1,000. Cheaper than I thought.

And yes for Thunderbolt laptops and small form factor like NUC is all there is. Yes, you can get TB adapters for desktop motherboards, but for the most part anything you would use Thunderbolt for, you'd just plug into a PCIe slot on a desktop.

Comment

Working...
                    X