Intel DG1 Graphics Card Support Lands In Mesa 20.2 For OpenGL / Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel DG1 Graphics Card Support Lands In Mesa 20.2 For OpenGL / Vulkan

Phoronix: Intel DG1 Graphics Card Support Lands In Mesa 20.2 For OpenGL / Vulkan

Intel has landed their Mesa OpenGL/Vulkan driver support for their "DG1" discrete graphics card!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

how about improve 7gen IGPU driver ?

Comment

Poor Intel. They put so much money into this card to please Apple, then Apple went on to announce moving to ARM and ditching them. Well, good luck competing with nvidia then...

Comment

What is the intended audience of this card? Is it 'desktop gamers' or rather 'compute workload' ?

Comment

Finally some competition. I welcome Intel into the dgpu market, i hope they succeed. Nvidia and AMD have formed a cartel for far too long. They don't even pretend to be price-competing any more and they really haven't for many years, they just overinflate their prices. Yes Intel is not the best company when it comes to competitive behavior either, but at least it is less easy to fix the market between 3 than between 2, and since they are a newcomer they have every incentive to go aggressive into it.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            Finally some competition.
            Not yet. But it would be very pleasant to see more competition in GPU market. Especially with good support for open-source.

Comment

Can't wait to see this running in laptops. While AMD Ryzen has been showing good performance and are popping up into more and more laptops, its GPU is still an iGPU and is far from being a gaming GPU, and for whatever reason AMD dGPUs don't seem to be popular among laptop manufacturers. So, when Intel DG1 gets released it is likely to be the best option for a Linux gaming machine despite not yet matching high end nVidia dGPUs in terms of performance.

Comment

I'm wondering if they will support GPU virtualization(GVT-g) with their discreet GPUs.
                Neither Nvidia nor AMD do with their consumer cards, which is a shame...

Comment

If the linux support is of the high standard that we are accustomed to from Intel and if this card can do good fps (way more than 60 in AAA games) at 1920x1080, I can see myself buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                    What is the intended audience of this card? Is it 'desktop gamers' or rather 'compute workload' ?
                    well I think their goal was both but ...afaik development didn't turn out that well. So they just launch it and see how it goes to make the next generation better. I once read somewhere(sorry cant provide a link) that this is now targetnig developers to see how they respond.

edit.: found the source https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHQXMUJ2t2U
                    Last edited by CochainComplex; 23 June 2020, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X