Intel Sends Out Patches Bringing Up The "DG1" Graphics Card Under Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    I'm not sure there's really much "high anticipation" here beyond Intel's marketing hype train.
    I for one am highly anticipating Intel's discrete GPUs, and will buy whatever version of it hits the shelves first.
    Not because I like Intel, not because I would think Intel will surprise us with a highly competitive performance or pricing, but quite simply because for me, Intel is currently the only silver lining of hope on the horizon that some day, a stable open source driver for any discrete GPU will once again exist.

After more than 2 years of terrible experience with amdgpu, a stable GPU driver is the one and only thing I expect from Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by yeeeeman View Post
      DG1 is mainly a SDV (software dev vehicle) product. Given Tigerlake mobile will basically integrate the same GPU in a 15W package there is absolutely no reason to release a discrete graphics card on the market that probably no one will buy. DG1 sole purpose is to bring up the platform, create drivers, optimize them with game engines, so on an so forth. The real product will be DG2, which has yet to be announced, but rumours are it will be a full line-up top to bottom.
      I do have an i5-3350P machine; the 3350p has the onboard GPU disabled and can only be used with external ones. For systems like that it might be viable, depending on price point.

That said I don't think there are any _current_ Intel CPU's without graphics built-in, and I am unsure about AMD these days (built my last new PC in 2014).

Comment

Originally posted by wyatt8740 View Post
        I do have an i5-3350P machine; the 3350p has the onboard GPU disabled and can only be used with external ones. For systems like that it might be viable, depending on price point.

That said I don't think there are any _current_ Intel CPU's without graphics built-in, and I am unsure about AMD these days (built my last new PC in 2014).
        AFAIK most Xeon (server/workstation-marketed) chips don't have built-in graphics, and on the AMD side, since the Ryzen architecture, built-in graphics have become the exception rather than the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by HadrienG View Post
          AFAIK most Xeon (server/workstation-marketed) chips don't have built-in graphics, and on the AMD side, since the Ryzen architecture, built-in graphics have become the exception rather than the rule.
          Forgot about those somehow; good point. Really silly that I did, since I used to have a few IBM x86 servers.

Comment

Working...
          X