X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wdb974
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    No it's just a flyby. Knowing how these things usually go, it's probably breaking it, but since none of the people that so vehemntly want long support like that and whine in forums constantly actually don't have so old hardware anyway, none will notice for a few years, at the very least, if ever.
    The articles does make it sound like a flyby. But hey, if we can get the full feature set on a given piece of hardware, that's a good thing.

Although you're right about the harsh reality (i.e. potential crashes and not many users if at all).

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Spam View Post
    Could it be embedded use?
    No it's just a flyby. Knowing how these things usually go, it's probably breaking it, but since none of the people that so vehemntly want long support like that and whine in forums constantly actually don't have so old hardware anyway, none will notice for a few years, at the very least, if ever.

Leave a comment:

• Raka555
    replied
    This is why I am not an Intel hater.
    They really do a great job supporting their hardware on Linux.

BTW I still have an E6600 on a G965 chipset that I use as my NAS.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Were those graphics really extreme anyway?
    Only compared to previous Intel GPU's. (And you had to be elite enough to find the secret BIOS setting and increase the video RAM. Otherwise, games might get confused by the DVMT scheme and refuse to run.)

Leave a comment:

• jabl
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post

This topic has nothing to do with what you said.
    You're right. Lets get back to ranting about systemd and Lennart. This is phoronix after all.

Leave a comment:

• S.Pam
    replied
    Could it be embedded use?

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

But at the same time, knowing that aging hardware like this will remain maintained and supported is why anything *but* Linux is an afterthought for the server market.
    This isn't so much support as it is adding new functionality. Honestly I'm hoping that this enablement is the fallout of other bug fixes and that the developers did not spend a lot of time on it. I just see it as a waste of time going that back into history to support hardware that realistically should not be running any more. Seriously the power usage alone is enough to justify replacement.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    That was finally ironed out in recent years for BroadwelL~Skylake and newer.
    Were those graphics really extreme anyway?

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Just in time... 🤣

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
    <trolling>
    This topic has nothing to do with what you said.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X