Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Clear Linux To Divest From The Desktop, Focus On Server + Cloud Workloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Clear Linux To Divest From The Desktop, Focus On Server + Cloud Workloads

Phoronix: Intel's Clear Linux To Divest From The Desktop, Focus On Server + Cloud Workloads

Intel's performance-optimized Clear Linux has made some inroads in the desktop space over the past two years with providing a nice desktop installer last year, enhancing their documentation, and making available more desktop packages. Clear Linux has offered some of the fastest performance even for desktop workloads like web browser performance and has worked out equally well on AMD hardware. But moving forward they are going to be shifting back to their roots on focusing on server and cloud workloads...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

...well this is not good news.

Comment

For those who are picky on the desktop.....

I think we’ll keep Plasma (KDE) and Xfce4 around as well. We’re definitely happy to see some people are making 3rd party repos with applications, as that is a good way for us to focus on the things we need to, and for users to get the end-user applications they want, without us fighting over resources.

Comment

I wish more distros had the ability to focus on a specific task or group rather than trying to please all and everyone.

Comment

In defense of the Clear Linux Team, since I opened a ticket with them last year I have been getting email updates from their system advising me on new tickets and community discussions.

These guys have been getting bombarded with all sorts of questions ranging from the noob stuff (why doesn't it install?) to complaints about why a certain file system isn't on the GUI choices, why some really obscure piece of hardware isn't supported. Some dude was belly aching because he couldn't set up his point of sale system on it. (really?) Some people were just downright rude when Clear wouldn't work in their very specific use case. It was like they were personally offended Intel didn't build it for them!

I can't tell you how many times the Clear Linux Team simply had to tell all of these people, over and over, the install is to merely get you there, the rest is up to you to figure it out.

This probably gives one an idea of just how hard it is to support an OS in such a diverse word of expertise and hardware.
          Last edited by edwaleni; 23 April 2020, 10:44 AM. Reason: grammatical update

Comment

i'm pretty sure thats how it is for most of other distros and microsoft too

Comment

Their survey of their own developers last year showed hardly anyone was using it, so this is no surprise whatsoever. Too bad they spent so much time promoting it and making promises. Reminiscent of a Canonical type of move.

Comment

for desktop most of people use the only one good Ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  Their survey of their own developers last year showed hardly anyone was using it, so this is no surprise whatsoever. Too bad they spent so much time promoting it and making promises. Reminiscent of a Canonical type of move.
                  Probably keeping it in the wings to threaten Microsoft with should MS decide to go further down the ARM route but given how WinRT fell flat on it's arse it might be a while off yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Probably keeping it in the wings to threaten Microsoft with should MS decide to go further down the ARM route but given how WinRT fell flat on it's arse it might be a while off yet.
                    I think it is fairly worrying that no-one has managed to get Linux running on those locked down Surface RTs yet. If Microsoft does decide to get serious and put a standard ARM port of Windows on them so they have a chance of hitting off; it will seriously reduce the amount of potential FOSS laptops.

As for Clear Linux; any time not wasted on the Gnome DE is probably good (even for desktop users). There are more important innovations to be had than trying to fix a broken (by design) desktop package. A modular monolith (like another old fashioned technology: http://troubleshooters.com/linux/sys...ol_systemd.htm)

Comment

Working...
                    X