• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vasu_1970 View Post
    Could you please send this output to check if power limits got messed up:
    Code:
    grep . /sys/class/powercap/intel-rapl-mmio/intel-rapl-mmio\:0/*
    It's funny you mention RAPL- Michael - there was a BIOS update for the 7390 2-in-1 that among other things, fixed a bug where one of the RAPL registers wouldn't come back after a reboot. Can you see if there was a BIOS update for your 7390?

Comment

at work I'm running a Dell Inspiron 7370 on Fedora 31. It doesn't run linux too well, as in suspend/resume or hibernate don't work. Also, the laptop has nowhere near enough cooling for the core-i7 processor. Anyway, I digress.

with kernel 5.4 it was fine. not long after upgrading to kernel 5.5 it started locking up, usually when idle, e.g. if I went to lunch, or if I left it running in the evenings, and required a forced power cycle.

Comment

This is root caused to wrong power settings.
        == SRU justification focal == As reported here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/intel-linux/1174225-dell-xps-7390-intel-ice-lake-performance-hit-hard-by-a-linux-kernel-regression?view=stream This primarily impacts "Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa)." as it switched to 5.4 kernel. The 5.4 kernel added support for "Processor thermal device", for Ice Lake, which will expose the power tables (via PPCC). This system default "max RAPL long term power limit" is 15W...

Comment

Update: User error on my part. Had compositing enabled in my window manager.
          Disabled that and got +10% increase instead of a -25% Unigine score.
          I don't remember the performance hit being this bad before especially with full-screen applications.

Nothing to do with broken power savings or buggy acpi implementations.
          (
          I just realized that my Phenom II/Gtx 1660 lost about 30% performance (Unity Valley) since September.
          Something ain't right here
          . )
          Last edited by a7v-user; 25 April 2020, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X