Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel NIR I/O Vectorization Ported From The AMD ACO Back-End - ~10% Performance Boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    Michael it is not clear on the news if the improvement is made on:

General NIR codebase, which is what it implies, so everyone that uses NIR would receive this improvement (radeonSI, panfrost, i965, anv, etnaviv?, etc)

ANV's NIR usage(??)

The part that says that the Intel paid Mesa developer, which is the lead ANV developer, confuses everything.

it's
    hard to know who will benefit from this improvement with all this qualifications, be like Jon Snow, "I am Jon Snow"

These particular patches only affect the Intel drivers (anv and iris).

The NIR I/O vectorization itself is already common code, written originally by the Valve developers for ACO. However, while the NIR pass itself is out in common code, it's not enabled by default unless drivers choose to do so. That's because it only makes sense on some hardware, for certain situations. That's pretty standard with a lot of the different NIR passes - the code is generic enough to run on any driver, but whether you actually want to do it is hardware specific.

These changes were Intel deciding to enable it on their driver, and then making a bunch of fixes in their driver (and a couple other common/optional passes they use) to make sure it all worked as intended rather than introducing regressions.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 04-11-2020, 03:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• andrei_me
    replied
    Michael it is not clear on the news if the improvement is made on:

General NIR codebase, which is what it implies, so everyone that uses NIR would receive this improvement (radeonSI, panfrost, i965, anv, etnaviv?, etc)

ANV's NIR usage(??)

The part that says that the Intel paid Mesa developer, which is the lead ANV developer, confuses everything.

it's
    hard to know who will benefit from this improvement with all this qualifications, be like Jon Snow, "I am Jon Snow"

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
    How do you distinguish between those two? Intel and AMD are producing hardware, so they are vendors? Valve is producing software, so it's a community member? So Red Hat and VMware are community members? Doesn't really make sense to me.
    AMD is interested in good drivers for selling hardware. Valve is interested in good drivers because they want to sell their software. They're both vendors in different areas.
    valve can sell their software to users with intel videocard, it's much harder for amd to sell their videocard without drivers(though novideo manages to sell to nvidiots)

Leave a comment:

• kravemir
    replied

How do you distinguish between those two? Intel and AMD are producing hardware, so they are vendors? Valve is producing software, so it's a community member? So Red Hat and VMware are community members? Doesn't really make sense to me. AMD is interested in good drivers for selling hardware. Valve is interested in good drivers because they want to sell their software. They're both vendors in different areas.
    Though, Valve doesn't need to care about Linux,... Valve won't benefit from contribution. Majority of game studios still deliver DirectX-only and Windows-only games. Therefore, majority of gamers are using Windows anyway. Steam is just content (game) delivery platform, which works anyway. Performance of games doesn't really matter for Valve, as it's Linux's fault.

Only reason why would Valve need it, is SteamOS and their dream of having their own SteamOS based console(s). However, Sony PS and MS Xbox already cover market nicely, and have got games optimized for controllers (not for keyboard and mouse). And, also Nintendo Switch covers nicely marked of dock/handheld convertible gaming console. I'm personally user of Nintendo Switch, and ability to go handheld (when TV is occupied, or I want to lie in bed and game,... ) is just great.

So, I think,... SteamOS, and Steam consoles, don't really matter, anymore/still. Maybe, trying to get into Linux market, where potential customers are developers/professionals using Linux, and want to play occasionally.

Leave a comment:

• PuckPoltergeist
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    i think in videodriver space intel and amd are vendors, while valve is community member
    How do you distinguish between those two? Intel and AMD are producing hardware, so they are vendors? Valve is producing software, so it's a community member? So Red Hat and VMware are community members? Doesn't really make sense to me. AMD is interested in good drivers for selling hardware. Valve is interested in good drivers because they want to sell their software. They're both vendors in different areas.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    If you count companies like Valve, Intel, AMD into community you're right.
    i think in videodriver space intel and amd are vendors, while valve is community member

Leave a comment:

• PuckPoltergeist
    replied
    Originally posted by humbug View Post
    It's still community work right?
    If you count companies like Valve, Intel, AMD into community you're right.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by arokh View Post

I'm sorry, your point must have missed me.
    You were talking about people being friendlier with 20 year old+technology...and not counting IRC, that's about how long it has been since I've used an actual chat room. And dammit if the phrase "I remember" doesn't trigger "Pepperidge Farm Remembers".

A/S/L

How you doin?

Leave a comment:

• arokh
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I'm sorry, your point must have missed me.

Leave a comment:

• siyia
    replied
    Does this commit also affect the older i965 driver?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X