Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel NIR I/O Vectorization Ported From The AMD ACO Back-End - ~10% Performance Boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel improving the performance with code from the AMD compiler, that is beautiful!

Imagine there is no proprietary software,
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to reverse engineer or decompile,
    And no blobs, too

Imagine all the developers
    Writing code in peace

You, you may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the source will be as one

Imagine no proprietary code
    I wonder if you can
    No need for blobs or reverse engineering
    A brotherhood of code
    Sharing all the code... You...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    And the source will live as one

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Intel improving the performance with code from the AMD compiler, that is beautiful!

Imagine there is no proprietary software,
      It isn't hard to do
      Nothing to reverse engineer or decompile,
      And no blobs, too

Writing code in peace

You, you may say I'm a dreamer
      But I'm not the only one
      And the source will be as one

Imagine no proprietary code
      I wonder if you can
      No need for blobs or reverse engineering
      A brotherhood of code
      Sharing all the code... You...

You may say I'm a dreamer
      But I'm not the only one
      And the source will live as one
      You're not dreamer, but naive,... Being in peace with others doesn't take energy, but instead it saves energy, which would otherwise go to effort of being an asshole,...

Software development costs time and energy,... And, that just needs money. And, not everything is ready to be open-source at project's beginning. However, open-source base technologies and api(s) can have symbiosis effect. Though, open-source specific solutions (games, image processing effects/filters,...) would just waste all the money put into (research and) development. As, it's then easy to steal it, without any effort,...

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
        Same old intel, does everything it can to prevent amd from doing their own contributions or god forbid, port intel contributions to benefit amd systems, but has no problem to borrow amd contributions to benefit intel systems... abhorrent...
        Don't forget that radv itself was based on anv design to begin with, so it's only a good thing there is cross collaboration.

Comment

Same old intel, does everything it can to prevent amd from doing their own contributions or god forbid, port intel contributions to benefit amd systems, but has no problem to borrow amd contributions to benefit intel systems... abhorrent...
          6 likes to a hateful comment on an article bringing news about a 10% improvement for Intel users. I remember when internet access used to be around 2-3 KB/sec and had extra usage cost, such comments didn't exist back then. I also had a Voodoo2 at that time that I could play Quake 1 with using Mesa.

Comment

I'm anticipating the 10% speedup on my Laptop! Hmm, maybe I should switch back to Mesa git...

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post

6 likes to a hateful comment on an article bringing news about a 10% improvement for Intel users. I remember when internet access used to be around 2-3 KB/sec and had extra usage cost, such comments didn't exist back then. I also had a Voodoo2 at that time that I could play Quake 1 with using Mesa.

Comment

I usually dont like intels greedy Business tactics. But in this case I can not be against them. That is what opensource is for and to be honest intel already contributes a lot. So it is not lile nvidia doing chery picking. Intel delivers a very stable and flawless experience with their igpus under opensource drivers.

Comment

I think there is a misunderstanding here. Nobody actually stole anything from anyone.

The load/store vectorizer was developed in NIR from the start, so anyone who uses NIR can benefit from it. Yes, it was used by ACO first, but there isn't any problem with other compilers using it too.

As with any other code, Intel using the load/store vectorizer means that the code will see more use and testing, and will get more improvements and collaboration, which will benefit everyone.

Comment

/me facepalms

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X