Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel NIR I/O Vectorization Ported From The AMD ACO Back-End - ~10% Performance Boost

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel NIR I/O Vectorization Ported From The AMD ACO Back-End - ~10% Performance Boost

    Phoronix: Intel NIR I/O Vectorization Ported From The AMD ACO Back-End - ~10% Performance Boost

    Lead Intel "ANV" open-source Vulkan driver developer Jason Ekstrand has ported an optimization from the Valve-backed AMD "ACO" compiler over to the NIR code-base for delivering some sizable performance improvements...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Vectorization

  • #2
    Same old intel, does everything it can to prevent amd from doing their own contributions or god forbid, port intel contributions to benefit amd systems, but has no problem to borrow amd contributions to benefit intel systems... abhorrent...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ddriver View Post
      Same old intel, does everything it can to prevent amd from doing their own contributions or god forbid, port intel contributions to benefit amd systems, but has no problem to borrow amd contributions to benefit intel systems... abhorrent...
      Intel's leeches, but in this case Open Source users benefit.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ddriver View Post
        Same old intel, does everything it can to prevent amd from doing their own contributions or god forbid, port intel contributions to benefit amd systems, but has no problem to borrow amd contributions to benefit intel systems... abhorrent...
        Erm...hasn't amd adopted nir from intel? And radv is also based on anv, no?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ddriver View Post
          ...
          As far as I know, ACO is Valve's code, not Amd's

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by treba View Post

            Erm...hasn't amd adopted nir from intel? And radv is also based on anv, no?
            Yes (I believe) and yes.

            But neither radv or ACO are developed by AMD, so technically, this isn't "Intel stealing from AMD", but rather "Intel benefitting from the community's hard work".

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by StandaSK View Post

              Yes (I believe) and yes.

              But neither radv or ACO are developed by AMD, so technically, this isn't "Intel stealing from AMD", but rather "Intel benefitting from the community's hard work".
              And the whole community benefits from reciprocal adoption of good code - open source at its finest, as it looks to me

              Comment


              • #8
                Come on guys, open source is about collaboration which implies benefiting from the work of others.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                  Come on guys, open source is about collaboration which implies benefiting from the work of others.
                  Exactly, I hope they will both keep re-using as much code as possible. This is what open source is about, please stop spreading hate.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by StandaSK View Post

                    Yes (I believe) and yes.

                    But neither radv or ACO are developed by AMD, so technically, this isn't "Intel stealing from AMD", but rather "Intel benefitting from the community's hard work".
                    Last time I check ACO its a paid job from Valve, not a community effort, the devs are paid for that they simply maintain the code open nothing more

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X