Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Clear Linux Just A Toy Distribution By Intel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Also: Intel hardware sucks and I want my money back.
    Aww, come on. That's unfair. Their IGPs, WIFI and ethernet chips are pretty good. Also they deliver pretty good open source drivers for nearly everything. They are good contributors.

Yes, their processor architecture apparently sucks, but they will somehow deal with this. Would I currently buy a CPU from them? Nah, AMD is fine. But I sure just switched several WiFi chips to Intel because theirs just work with Linux (and pretty good), while all the other crappy chips out there (broadcom, realtek, whatever) suck hard.

Comment

Just OS just for development is myth, it will never work, we are not just machines. Possibility of choice is best thing in the life.. and to choice you need best and possible compatibility with random stuff.

Comment

I replaced Ubuntu with Clear Linux on my 2019 LG Gram 17 and it works much more reliably. Then again I am not interested in commercial Linux software and I compile my own stack myself. The only complaint I have with it is its use of systemd.

Comment

For me the purpose seemed quite clear from the beginning and didn't expect that people would try to use it as general purpose desktop. However, that only happened because I followed their work. I'm not suprised people try to use it as general purpose desktop or in some other ways if you 'prove' that your distro is fast and clean.

I think the naming could be improved though. Calling it Intel Linux or something similar would help to give out a clearer purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            Michael was quoting Intel Fellow Arjan van de Ven. You should at least spend a millisecond scanning Michael's article before jumping into the comments section to blast him. Lazy trolling is the worst kind of trolling.
            You're missing the finer point. Fox News quotes others all day long, too. It doesn't make it automatically news.

Comment

Clear Linux is what Caldera & Corel Linux was to me back in the 1990's. I load them, I test them, I try different devices with them, I benchmark them, see what works best and what works lousy. Then I decide if I want to keep it around.

I was pretty shocked when Intel decided to put a GUI on top of Clear. To me it was strictly a container object. So I thought, "hey, they want to make a desktop out of it, lets see".

So I started exposing it to lesser hardware, different flavors of UEFI, AMD CPU's, 10G NIC's, etc. etc. etc.

This is where it started to fall down a little bit (as Arjan calls it "weird hardware"). Due to its relative youth and its different approach to packaging, there is not a large repository of online information on how to do certain things.

I probably spent a good 25-30 hours troubleshooting Clear Linux not enabling the IOMMU on Ryzen Mobile. (which breaks virtualization) Posted about it on their board (and they responded quickly), but I have to set it aside with no solution yet.

I also spent at least 40 hours trying to get Clear to boot on UEFI v1.2 which was typical on many Sandy Bridge era hardware. (no joy)

It has been educational for me since there is a lack of info, I have to spend a lot of time figuring it out myself.

This maybe Clear's biggest struggle, there is no broad ecosystem of knowledge in the ether that can guide people when they get stumped.

I have suggested they support 3rd party repositories of their own bundle format. This would allow developers to build custom swupd bundles.

Many of the packages I installed were conversions from RPM's, so surely a tool can be made to automate/script that process.

I don't give a hoot about the desktop used, systemd, or the fact they use their own package format. I will leave those arguments to the Ford vs Chevy crowd parked in the Sonic parking lot with their hoods up.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post

this something i hate about linux why some app work only in some distros and there no default way to install anything
                There's no default way on Windows either. App Store, exe, msi - that's 3 choices already, and perhaps I'm missing one still? And on macOS, you also have to choose between the App Store and DMG's.
                Last edited by Vistaus; 18 March 2020, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Maybe it is time for Intel to decide what they want to achieve with ClearLinux and cater better to their target audience. That can go several ways, scaling things back to the niche use cases they originally cared for or going big with starting to offer several different flavors (or handling it with different profiles during the installation process) to optimize the experience for a specific target audience (e.g. a desktop/gamer centric/enthusiast flavor; a IOT/container/server profile etc.).

Comment

So what? >90% of the Linux distributions are toys or one-man-shows. The difference is that Intel doesn't present Clear Linux as the next best Linux Desktop distro for everyone. Even the distrohoppers and hobbyists will appreciate this.

Comment

I just gave it a spin today on my laptop and found it quite decent. The defaults settings WRT power management were clearly better than Fedora 31 and the installation was relatively smooth and surprisingly fast (I did it on battery power!). The installer still has some rough edges but nothing that couldn't be solved with a Google search. If I can get Xfce running on it I might try it to use it as my daily driver. I dislike GNOME3 with a passion but I understand their choice: they surely don't have the resources to support every other DE out-of-the-box so they're focusing on providing a polished experience with the most common one.

Comment

Working...
                      X